Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Weather Forecasts for France and Flanders

The Scorer

Does anyone know of a web site where I could have a look at the forecasts for my trip next week, please?

Thank you!

I use this French site a lot and find it pretty accurate most of the time. Just type in the town and click on OK. If there are synonymous towns it will give you a choice.

http://www.meteociel.fr/prevville.php

It used to cover just France, Belgium and Luxembourg but has recently extended its forecasts worldwide.

Cheers Martin B

Thanks very much, folks.

I've used the Norwegian site, which seems to say that the weather's not too bad next week. It's mostly dry, but sometimes a bit cloudy; there's some rain about - Wednesday night and Thursday afternoon / evening, but hopefully it won't be too bad. I'll take a mac!

The easiest method is to get the British weather forecast for especially the South East and then add on 12 to 24 hours. The weather moves from the west, so this is always a good rule of thumb.

• Admin

Thanks .... mind you, there's nothing you can do about it if it rains, of course!

Like going to the battlefields in winter, experiencing the less pleasant types of weather simply gives you greater respect for the men and the conditions they lived in.

Most UK sites give weather forecasts for cities in Europe.

Most UK sites give weather forecasts for cities in Europe.

CNN does regularly. "There will be rain over parts of Europe". Wow, thanks.

Or even dafter, "some rain is expected in Africa".

On the Norwegian site you can get detailed forecasts such as for Ieper, or for the Somme. You can put in just about anywhere in the world and get a forecast as accurate as any, by the hour, or longer-term: a weather-mad friend of mine tells me that the Norwegians have the most up-to-date weather forecasting gubbins in the world.

William

• Admin

a weather-mad friend of mine tells me that the Norwegians have the most up-to-date weather forecasting gubbins in the world.

William

It wasn't me -though I confess to be being weather mad! I use the site for local forecasts in the Uk in preference to any other, like your friend I could bore you for hours as to why it's so accurate!

Ken

I lay claim to be the resident meteorologist on the Forum, with impeccredentialscable!

The reason that the British Met. Office is called "The Met. Office" is simply because it is, and always has been, pre-eminent.

We also host the European Centre for Medium Range Forecasting. The latter provide very good ten day forecasts. I will add an example:

http://uk.weather.com/weather/10day/Amiens+80+France+FRXX0269:1:FR

The Met. Office [wisely] sticks to five days ahead, as being the limit of good robust advice. I will add an example.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/world-forecasts/paris-beauvais-france#?tab=fiveDay&fcTime=1400108400

I should add that, patriotism set aside, the computer models of the major players are all very good: USA, France, Germany in the first division.

Provided that the sites will allow you to choose somewhere with 50 miles or so of your tour, that will be good enough: the scale of weather and the periods of prediction are such that claims for pinpoint accuracy are spurious.

impeccredentialscable!

Thats a great word.

I use this French site a lot and find it pretty accurate most of the time. Just type in the town and click on OK. If there are synonymous towns it will give you a choice.

http://www.meteociel.fr/prevville.php

It used to cover just France, Belgium and Luxembourg but has recently extended its forecasts worldwide.

Cheers Martin B

This has proved to be 'Spot on' !

Thank you for the link Martin.

chacun a son gout, I suppose.

I wouldn't trust it further than I could throw it .........................

departs stage left, muttering and sighing ........................