Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Albert John Pope Canadian army.

stevej60

Could someone tell me what records are kept regarding Canadian army servicemen,my GT.Grandfather Albert pope a native of Millom in Cumbria

was in America during the war,I have copies of his attestation papers it seems he crossed the border and signed up in Victoria in September 1917 and

joined the Canadian engineer corps(he was a miner by trade) It seems like most returning soldiers he did not talk about his experiences and We know

nothing about his service although there is a belief he was gassed at some stage but he was still in Canada as late as November 1917.after the war he

moved the family to Chester-le-street in Durham.Thanks Steve Smith.

The full service records are being digitized and from what I understand this should be done sometime in 2015. The databse was recently moved and the following is the new link to his attestation papers; when his file has been digitized there will be a box above his name with a link to the pdf file.

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/first-world-war-1914-1918-cef/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=579036

The War Diaries for the Royal Canadian Engineers can be found at www.canadiangreatwarproject.com/warDiaryLac/wdLacP15.asp

Andrewr

The full service records are being digitized and from what I understand this should be done sometime in 2015. The databse was recently moved and the following is the new link to his attestation papers; when his file has been digitized there will be a box above his name with a link to the pdf file.

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/first-world-war-1914-1918-cef/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=579036

Many thanks for the information Ken,I will look forward to the records being completed.

The War Diaries for the Royal Canadian Engineers can be found at www.canadiangreatwarproject.com/warDiaryLac/wdLacP15.asp

Andrewr

Many thanks Andrew.

• 1 year later...

Evening folks,I've checked in every few month's and noticed the layout was changed for Albert Pope's papers in Ken's link on 27th October 2015 are the record's still

being digitised to add their service paper's?

Regard's Steve

The records are still being digitized, but it's a large slow project. They are working through the records in alphabetical order and are currently working on "H." It may be another year or more before they get to "Pope." You may want to consider the LAC's ordering process for a copy of the file. It will cost a few quid, but will be faster than the scanning project if you're in a rush.

LAC updates: http://thediscoverblog.com/category/digitization-2/

Posted on January 15, 2016

As of today, 240,545 of 640,000 files are available online via our Soldiers of the First World War: 1914–1918 database.

Many thank,s for the explanation,much appreciated.

• 9 months later...

Hi folk's I was just doing by usual two or three monthly check to see if there was any movement on his record digitization and looking over these papers

was trying to make out his place of residence,it look's like somewhere in Los Angeles which has never cropped up in the families history as we had

family at Silver Bow and Butte Montana from the late 1800's can anyone make out the first part of his address?

Hi,

It just says "General Delivery" Los Angeles which I take it means he collected his mail from the main post office there.......

Good Luck...you shouldn't have too long to wait as they are half way through the digitisation project.

Steve Y

• 9 months later...

Hi folk's after a long wait Albert's record's appeared yesterday online,it seems he arrived in France in April 1918,and went to the 2nd

tunnelling Coy which at the time was near Ypres,had a very run of the mill record the usual overstay of leave etc,there are 46 pages but

when I reach 37 I get a black screen with a jigsaw piece shape and sad face,Does anyone know if this means some pages are still to 

digitise or it simply that only 37 pages exist?

27 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Hi folk's after a long wait Albert's record's appeared yesterday online,it seems he arrived in France in April 1918,and went to the 2nd

tunnelling Coy which at the time was near Ypres,had a very run of the mill record the usual overstay of leave etc,there are 46 pages but

when I reach 37 I get a black screen with a jigsaw piece shape and sad face,Does anyone know if this means some pages are still to 

digitise or it simply that only 37 pages exist?

When I view page 37 it is a clear image, as are the images following.

Mark

1 hour ago, BFBSM said:

When I view page 37 it is a clear image, as are the images following.

Mark

Thank's Mark,even when I downloaded the file to my laptop I have the same result I'll have another go.

No it's happening now on page two.ah well!

Try clearing the cache on your browser, then try downloading again. Also is your PDF reader up-to-date?

Mark

12 hours ago, BFBSM said:

Try clearing the cache on your browser, then try downloading again. Also is your PDF reader up-to-date?

Mark

Great stuff Mark thats done the trick,Many thank's.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folk's Albert's records are now digitised so thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction,although late into the war he was sent to the 2nd

tunnelling company then 12th Bn Canadian engineer's,I followed the war diary for the 12th and they were in the thick of the action in the closing

months of the war most notable throwing a bridge across the canal du Nord in 23 hour's under fire! He finally was demobbed in June 1919.

Edited by stevej60