Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Middlesex Regiment - 10th (H.S) Battalion

cazack

Hello

just wanting to see if anyone can help me with exactly what Battalion would be the 10th (H.S.), would H.S. refer to Home service?

regards and thanks in advance

Caz

post-107717-0-53110200-1399902557_thumb.

If you go to Long Long Trail, top left of page you will find a list of all Middlesex Btns. You will see that no 10th Btn is listed.

Have you possibly misread the number?

1st (Home Service) Garrison Battalion
Formed at Mill Hill in May 1916. By August 1917 was at Chattenden. Converted into 16th Bn, the Royal Defence Corps.

Hi

If you scroll down that list, you will see 1/10th battalion; 2/10th battalion etc in the list of battalions of the Territorial Forces. As part of a Chiswick based project, I often see references to "10th battalion Middlesex regiment" (ie without the 1/ or 2/ prefix.), as the battalion was closely linked with Chiswick. Sorry that doesn't answer your question but could explain why it's not on the LLT list.

If you go to Long Long Trail, top left of page you will find a list of all Middlesex Btns. You will see that no 10th Btn is listed.

As pointed out the 10th Battalion Middlesex Regiment is listed, being a Territorial Battalion it is shown as 1/10th, 2/10th etc.

10th (H.S.) Battalion is, I believe, 10th (Home Service) Battalion and, depending on the date of the reference (1914 or early 1915?), I would suggest is referring to the 2nd line battalion (2/10th) consisting of those Territorials who hadn't signed the commitment to serve overseas. The 2/10th did go overseas in 1915 so this terminology could then have applied to the 3/10th (and possibly later 4/10th battalions?), all depends on the date of the reference really.

Regards

Steve

I saw the TF references but not a 10th Btn. Am I right in saying that there was no 10th btn but were 1/10th, 2/10th 3rd/10th battalions?

After going through 1000 records of men listed as died in Middlesex Regiment none are listed as being in just the 10th Btn. Should the OP have referred to the full btn name?

Am I right in saying that there was no 10th btn but were 1/10th, 2/10th 3rd/10th battalions?

No, not exactly. When war was declared there was only a 10th Battalion. On mobilization of the Territorial Force this battalion was split into two lines depending on whether the soldier had signed the imperial service obligation or not. The First Line, 10th (Imperial (or Foreign) Service) Battalion consisted of those that had signed the obligation to serve overseas and the Second Line, 10th (Home Service) Battalion of those that had not. Sometime in 1915, I know not when, these designations were changed to the more familiar 1/10th, 2/10th etc. and when further lines were created these became 3/10th and 4/10th.

Should the OP have referred to the full btn name?

The OP did, assuming it's 1914 or early 1915 then 10th (H.S.) Battalion was the full designation.

Regards

Steve

Thank all for your input and help

I have attached his MIC to just see if that helps any questions

regards

caz

I have attached to first post on this thread

regards

Caz