Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

John Henry Johnson ASC?

michael wilmot

Hello pals, I'm currently trying to find any information on John Henry Johnson possibly of the Army Service Corps.

Family legend has it that he served in Gallipoli and on the Somme but i'm unable to find any information on him.

He was born in Brackley Northants in 1896 and died there in 1984.

Will post the pictures i have of him here,The only other information i have comes from a picture of him beside a truck with the ace of spades logo,Which according to The Long Long Trail is for the 12th(Eastern) Division.

Sadly this picture seems to have been lost over the years.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Michael

post-34881-0-53846000-1399823047_thumb.j

post-34881-0-35926200-1399823058_thumb.j

One more picture

post-34881-0-82150200-1399823248_thumb.j

Hi Michael,

A quick trawl of medal index cards on Ancestry brought up 2 x John H Johnson's in the Army Service Corps - one with no date of entry into a theatre of war therefore after Gallipoli and the other stating entry into France 0n 10/09/1915. Unfortunately with a surname of Johnson its a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack, especially with a unit the size of the ASC.

Unless somebody is going to tell us otherwise, the 15th Division badge may be a red herring - they were not present in Gallipoli. Of course, it could be the Gallipoli story that is the red herring, or he may have moved to the 15th from another division after Gallipoli. You can't rule anything in or out at this stage.

Can you tell us what, if anything, you have tried already to nail him down? - there may be clues in it. Does anyone else in the family have any info on him? - his medals would be useful as they will have his service number on them - a lot of information can come out from his service number.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks John/Mike.

I would assume that Gallipoli is the red herring,Sadly his medals have been lost by the family over the years,Will ask his son if he knows his service number.

I seem to have spent many hours trawling through Ancestry looking at Johnson Military records with little success.

Thanks again.

Michael

The 1911 Census shows John Henry Johnson of 2 Church Road, Evenley, Brackley, age 14 a house boy born at Evenley.

The 1918 Evenley Absent Voters List for men away from home (i.e. postal voting) in the run up to the December 1918 General Election shows "Harry" Johnson, Church Street, No. 060286 in the Army Service Corps, listing his exact rank and unit as a Driver in the 455th (Company) Army Service Corps.

If this is him, then he would have been in the 47th (2nd London) Division at that time (i.e. at some point during 1918 when he registered his vote).

http://www.1914-1918.net/47div.htm

T4/060268 Harry Johnson's medal card shows him going to France on 30th May 1915 - the same as the dates of embarkation for 12th Division. He was transferred to Class Z Reserve on 2nd May 1919, though he would have likely been demobilised and sent home 28 days earlier.

Steve.

Thanks Steve,

Have emailed his grandson in Australia to try to confirm his service number but to my eye it all looks correct.

Michael

Hiya,

That lead into the census may help in other ways - if you know anything about his family.

The Harry Johnson on that return was 14 years old giving a DOB of circa 1897

He had a sister - Annie Ethel Johnson - born 1891 (ish)

His father and mother were Henry and Georgina - married circa 1889.He was born in Stowe (Bucks), she in Albrighton, Shropshire.

A marriage record exists for a Henry Johnson and Georgina Totty in the September 1/4 of 1889 - 3A/1059

An Annie E Johnson married a John Nickless in the Reading registration district in March 1/4 1917 - 2C/632 - but that may not be the right Annie E. Johnson to be his sister

Does any of that make sense with your known family history?

Cheers,

Mike