Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Possible date and location

marion.h

Sorry pic did not upload....pic is my great, great grandfather (2nd from right) and has 3rd Glamorgan Volunteers written on the back

post-103551-0-84934400-1399802767_thumb.

Hi Marion,

I would say circa Boer War, 1899-1902, looking at the slouch hats and the tunics. Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge of such things will be along soon.

Robert

I think that Volunteers stopped in 1908.

Google 3rd Glamorgan Volunteers , see what comes up.

From the information I have my gr,gr grandfather (JW Bibbs) appears on the 1881 census in Wales and is single. He does not appear on the 1891 census but was married to his wife in the Apr qtr 1891. Presumably this was after the census was taken in 1891 because his wife appears as single and at home with parents on that census. As the census date for that year was 5th April they were presumably married after that. JW presume then that he served then appears again on the 1901 census. I presume then that he served with the 3rd Glamorgan volunteers for sometime between 1891 and 1901. Does this add up with the uniform etc. JW was born in 1868 so would have been 23 in 1891.

According to Ray Westlake's excellent "The Volunteer Infantry, 1880-1908", the 3rd Glamorganshire Volunteer Battalion of The Welsh regiment dated back to 1859, having been formed in Swansea in that year. It had 6 companies until 1900, raised to 9 in that year and then to 12 in 1905, when personnel from the 2nd VB were transferred. In 1908 the battalion became the 6th Battalion, The Welsh Regiment, TF.

Oddly, there was also a 3rd Volunteer Battalion, The Welsh regiment (there's confusing). The HQ of this unir was in Cardiff, with companies spread across the Valleys.

Where did your chap live? That might identify which of the two battalions he was in.

Uniforms OK for the period between the Boer War and 1908, I'd say, so early 20th century.

My money would be on the 3rd Glamorganshire Battalion. There was a 1st VB, but that came from Pembrokeshire. The 2nd VB was mostly the bit between Swansera and Cardiff (Bridgend being the only plave listed I could point out on a map, I'm afraid), while the 3rd VB was Cardiff and the Valleys. Therefore I'd hazard a guess it's the 3rd Glamorganshire Bn.

Any chance of a larger clearer image, so that we can pick out some features - hopefully we'll be able to make out the shoulder title.

Any chance of a larger clearer image, so that we can pick out some features - hopefully we'll be able to make out the shoulder title.

This is the best I can do I'm afraid..any good?

post-103551-0-00398200-1400277986_thumb.