Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

robinsgt

Have run into the brick wall we all seem to at sometime.I am researching a soldier on Worthing War Memorial Charles Mathews. The only details I can find about him are G7009 private 2nd Batt.RSR born Newhaven enlisted Shoreham by sea died 19th Aug.1916 remembered on Thiepval mem. I can find Charles with a second name born in the area but cannot find a Charles on a census. The batt.diary lists his details as these but I cannot find any details of his military life. Any help much appreciated.

MIKE

Medal Index card for Charles MaTthews G/7009 Private Royal Sussex regiment. Victory & British War medals . No date of entry into theatre shown so after 1915.

Also appears as MaTthews on CWGC

Hi Mike

I have come across men with mis-spelt surnames on the two memorials I am researching in the local parish, so does happen (sure other forum pals can give many examples and sure there are posts about such on the forum). I'll dig a little more for you, but can tell you he enlisted in about mid-June 1915 and I know a draft went out to 2nd Sussex just after new year 1916, which would fit (I was looking at G/8*** numbered RSR men's service records yesterday evening and there seems a pattern of six months between attestation and mobilisation, deployment many seeming to be Derby Scheme men)

I'll see what else I can dig up

Cheers Jim

Edited, correction made

Looking at his date of death, looks like he was a victim of the fighting around Clarke's Trench near High Wood but I'll double check (a man I researched was killed there on the 17th), I'll get back to you

Jim

In the afternoon of the 19th A and D Coys moved up out of Mametz Wood to support the Northants who were holding ground to the west of High Wood, German bombing parties being very active during the whole day.

2nd Sussex moved down from the Loos area in early July and went into action (A & B Coys) at Contalmaison on 23rd, before moving onto High Wood the following month

PS Checked with Paul Nixon's brill website on army number systems and my estimate matched Paul's research, G/7009 was a June 1915 issued number

Hope this helps

Jim

There was a Charles Matthews baptised in Newhaven on 10th August 1889, son of Charles and Elizabeth ... could try following that up Mike