Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Old photo

En-jay

Hello there,

Making this enquiry on behalf of a friend who has in possession an old photograph of a WW1 group, pictured within the group is a family member (Albert Henry Powell) - other than that, nothing else is known about the photo, i.e. where, when taken etc.

Purely from my own less than expert eye I believe the soldiers to be Royal Engineers but would be grateful for definite identification/confirmation, also, if anyone has any further thoughts at all regarding the photo I'd be much obliged.

Regards,

Neil W.

post-107518-0-69245400-1399731301_thumb.

Looks like RE cap badge, and there are a few with overseas service chevrons and wound stripes, they are very clear on the man sat leaning against the building.

John

Many thanks for that John, I will pass on the information to the family.

I've just been looking on Ancestry.com and have found a medal index card for an 'Albert H Powell', No.299472, Royal Engineers but cannot find a service/pension record to see if that is indeed the correct chap.

On the 1911 census he is employed as a bricklayer/mason, living with his wife and two young children in Mitcheldean, Gloucs - also recorded his birthplace. Aside from that, unfortunately I have no other information.

Regards,

Neil