Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Whatever happened to Thomas Hewitt 2nd lieutenant Norfolk Regiment

margaretdufay

As you can see these four second lieutenants are recorded for the Norfolk Regiment, but when I was looking for Thomas Hewitt he was nowhere to be found, does anyone have an idea where he could be? Have included photos of the panel. thanks for any info MagsDSCN0900_zpsfd963194.jpgBRUMBLEY, WALTER JAMES JOSHUA Rank: Second Lieutenant Date of Death: 27/03/1918 Age: 20 Regiment/Service: Norfolk Regiment 3rd Bn. attd. 7th Bn. Awards: M C Panel Reference Panel 23. Memorial POZIERES MEMORIAL Additional Information:

Son of Mr. and Mrs. Brumbley, of 46, Princes Rd., Great Yarmouth.

HEWITT, THOMAS Rank: Second Lieutenant Date of Death: 27/03/1918 Age: 25 Regiment/Service: Norfolk Regiment 7th Bn. Panel Reference Panel 23. Memorial POZIERES MEMORIAL Additional Information:

Son of Noah and Leah Hewitt, of 189, Congleton Rd., Butt Lane, Talke, Stoke-on-Trent.

SCOLDING, GEORGE HENRY Rank: Second Lieutenant Date of Death: 26/03/1918 Age: 34 Regiment/Service: Norfolk Regiment 4th Bn. attd. 7th Bn. Panel Reference Panel 23. Memorial POZIERES MEMORIAL Additional Information:

Husband of Gertrude Ida Scolding, of "The Old Lodge", Ashford, Middx.

View certificate This is a PDF file and requires Adobe Reader to view.
POZIERES MEMORIAL
SCOLDING, GEORGE HENRY Rank: Second Lieutenant Date of Death: 26/03/1918 Age: 34 Regiment/Service: Norfolk Regiment 4th Bn. attd. 7th Bn. Panel Reference Panel 23. Memorial POZIERES MEMORIAL Additional Information:

Husband of Gertrude Ida Scolding, of "The Old Lodge", Ashford, Middx.

View certificate This is a PDF file and requires Adobe Reader to view.
POZIERES MEMORIAL SENIOR, ROBERT MACKENZIE Rank: Second Lieutenant Date of Death: 27/03/1918 Age: 26 Regiment/Service: Norfolk Regiment 4th Bn. attd. 7th Bn. Panel Reference Panel 23. Memorial POZIERES MEMORIAL Additional Information:

Son of the late William and Helena Senior, of 29 Carlton Road, Salford, Manchester.

DSCN0902_zps0a0517d0.jpg

2Lts Hewitt, Scolding, Brumley, and Wallis, with Capt 'Nash' are recorded in the war diary of 7th Norfolks as KIA 27 March 1918 at Henencourt. The complete diary is downloadable from TNA. You need to download two entries if you want it all for the grand sum £6.60.

Garth

I think a word in the earhole of the CWGC is warranted here, indeed where is he ? supposed to be on panel 23 according to them as you have posted.

Ok, post deleted, shame was a good portrait shot of this officer, though if you look it is the same address as the CWGC details and i am from the area and think you will find it is the same chap, all the best, Geoff

post-9296-0-13836100-1400097727_thumb.jp

Sorry I did not mean to be rude, I see what you mean about being the same man, next time I go to Pozières, I will have a look at the Royal Warwickshire Panel, he might be on that.

It's strange that they have the two different regiments. Could you repost his picture please?

mags

Medal index card

Pte 57204 Royal Army medical corps

2 lieutenant Royal Warwickshire Regiment

attached Norfolk Regiment

Check if he is recorded on the Warwicks panel

no offence taken

Glad to say I have found him on the Royal Warwickshire Panel, but this doesn't explain why the CWGC have him on the wrong panel in their books.DSCN1417_zps731911ba.jpg

and thanks again to wulsten, for drawing our attention to this link with the regiment.

mags