Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

WW1 Army Veterinary Corps

karencoupe

Hello,

This is the first time i have written on this site so please forgive me if i have done it wrong!

I am looking for any information on my Great Grandfather Henry James Powell, born 1888, Breckonshire, Wales. He was a PTE in the Veterinary Corps, his regimental number was TT/02381., all i am able to find is the British Army WW1 Medal Rolls Index Card, this says Theatre of war: 2 and Date of entry therein: 25/04/1915. it also has the following written on it:

Medal roll page

Victory Ravc/101B21 1123

British do do

15 Star Ravc/7B 515

could someone kindly explain to me what this means? also my mother informs me that Henry was in Egypt so any information or pointers in the right direction on that too would be fantastic.

thank you in advance.

Karen

If I remember correctly, the Army Veterinary Corps' TT prefix means he was a Territorial. Many men joined local units. Where did Henry live by say 1913-14 - was he still in the Brecon area?

hello, and thank you for your help, i was just reading a previous thread you had started in 2009!!

according to the 1911 Census is was age 22 and living at Hill Grove Gardens, Pontypool, Monmouthshire, I know he married my grandmother in 1918 registration district Droitwich, Worcestershire!

if i have read the info correctly does the theatre of war 2 mean he was in the Balkan Theatre? im sorry im not very good at this research thing!!!

again thanks for your help x

Yes, the code 2 is "Balkan theatre" which covers Gallipoli and various others. It may be coincidental, but the landings at Gallipoli took place on 25 April 1915. Entry date for code 2 was often that on which the man arrived at Alexandria or Mudros or some other point of entry, so I would be rather surprised if he had gone to Gallipoli on that date. But let's see!

I'm not sure if any TF AVC units actually existed as such before the army was mobilised on 4-5 August 1914. Some study of men who were numbered near to him might offer some clues as to what he did and where he went. Or we may be lucky and find some other member here knows something about it.

how do I attach an image to send to you to look at? I saw a paper clip symbol before but now i cant see it!!!!

id like for you to see the medal card and maybe then you could confirm if he did land at Gallipoli on 25th April 1915.

Hello Karen

Welcome to the Forum!

AVC men were usually scattered in small detachments but there are some pointers here.

It looks as if he may have served at Gallipoli but if he was a Territorial from Monmouthshire it is quite likely that he was in 53rd (Welsh) Division, probably in its Mobile Veterinary Section. This division landed at Suvla Bay in August and stayed on the peninsula until the evacuation in December 1915, when it was withdrawn to Egypt, where it spent the rest of the war.

A number of yeomanry regiments (the cavalry of the TF) fought dismounted at Gallipoli as well, and they may have had veterinary detachments left at Alexandria or maybe Mudros.

This doesn't solve your problem completely, butat least the haystack is now a lot smaller! The numbers shown in the "roll" column won't help you to identify his unit, I'm afraid.

Ron

Hi Ron, thank you for the warm welcome and your helpful advice, think I will be spending what sounds like a wet day ahead tomorrow doing more research. Thank you again x

• Admin

how do I attach an image to send to you to look at? I saw a paper clip symbol before but now i cant see it!!!!

id like for you to see the medal card and maybe then you could confirm if he did land at Gallipoli on 25th April 1915.

Karen

When you reply to a post, use the More Reply Options in the bottom right of the screen. Once you click that, you will see an option to Choose Files. You then need to make sure the files are under 250kb in size and can then attach them.

If you need to resize the images, assuming you are using Windows, open them in something like Paint, select the Resize option and then the Pixels choice. Select the Horizontal size to 800 and save it. That should make them small enough to upload.

Or post them to the Gallery which you can find at the top of the screen

Glen

This thread on TT/... numbering has some useful notes but doesn't quite include 02381 in any of the known number series - however, it's interestingly close to the "South Midland Divisional Veterinary Hospital, plus Mobile Veterinary Section" numbers, which are up to 2374. These numbers date from December 1916 - it's not clear what numbers the men would have had before then.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=118659

The following is speculative, but...

This old LLT page suggests there would have been a mobile section with the various Yeomanry brigades as well as with the division. http://web.archive.org/web/20080516151743/http://www.1914-1918.net/CAVALRY/2mtddiv.htm

I wonder if he belonged to the AVC mobile section with the South Wales Mounted Brigade - he's in the right general area - and wound up with one of the AVC units which went out with the 2nd Mounted Division? They would have arrived in Egypt at the end of April 1915, so the dates match.

His number matches (ish) the South Midland Division's numbers, and it seems reasonable to assume that the yeomanry brigade sections would be numbered in a similar sequence. (Note the regular gaps between divisions - they've not all got tacked on at the end)

Thoughts? A completely wild tangent, perhaps...

Andrew.

----

[edit: I've just stumbled across the Worcester absent voters list for 1918 - https://www.worcestershire.gov.uk/cms/pdf/WorcCity1918-1932A-I.pdf - and it includes - by happy chance - Sergeant A.C. Martin, AVC, TT/02382 - in other words, the next man in sequence to our chap here. He's attached to 132nd Battery RGA. Worcester would definitely be in the South Midlands region, so this looks like it might be a corroborating detail... 2381 is definitely in the range]

Hello Andrew

That definitely looks plausible, and I had 2nd Mounted Division in mind when I mentioned yeomanry in post #8. Like the 53rd Division, a lot of the yeomantry used on Gallipoli, and other yeomanry regiments, found wtheir way to Egypt from Jan 1916 onwards.

Ron

Thank you all so very much for your help, it is very much appreciated. another separate query regarding my Great Uncle Ben to follow on new thread!!

thanks again every one xx

[edit: I've just stumbled across the Worcester absent voters list for 1918 - https://www.worcestershire.gov.uk/cms/pdf/WorcCity1918-1932A-I.pdf - and it includes - by happy chance - Sergeant A.C. Martin, AVC, TT/02382 - in other words, the next man in sequence to our chap here. He's attached to 132nd Battery RGA. Worcester would definitely be in the South Midlands region, so this looks like it might be a corroborating detail... 2381 is definitely in the range]

sorry to be a pain but when i download the link you kindly sent to me it only goes up to the letter I so i cant see Sergeant A C Martin or any after the letter I in the alphabet!!! am I just being hopeless???

karen x

Hello Karen

Duplicates did occur, usually because of a clerical error when the cards were compiled - there were over five million cards!

I shouldn't worry about it.

Ron

Hi Ron,

im not worried just confused - still cant find much on Henry James Powell - was hoping this other chap Alec would have some helpful hints on Ancestry, like enlistment records etc but the site is on a VERY GO SLOW at the moment!! will have to take a look again later this evening - still cant quiet figure out what regiment Henry was definitely attached too - thanks for answering though :)

• Admin

Karen

There are AVLs for Worcestershire in PDF and Excel format here http://www.worcestershire.gov.uk/cms/archive-and-archaeology/search-our-records/online-indexes-and-databases.aspx

but I can't see AC Martin AVC in them from a very quick look.

If Chris Baker is still reading this thread, they seem to be an updated version of the one posted here which is also on LLT.

Glen

• 1 year later...

I'm trying to help a friend find out about his grandfather's WW1 service in the Army Veterinary Corp and not having much luck, so would appreciate any pointers. His name was Edwin J Wills and he was in Ipplepen, Devon in 1911; all I have found so far is a medal card which gives his number as SE/20669 and the roll entry for British and Victory medals says RAVC/101 (superscript B) 18 and Page 919.

From what I understand, the AVC didn't serve as a unit as such but individuals were attached to regiments - how do I know where he served if I don't know which regiment he was attached to?

Hello TrenchCoat, and welcome to the Forum!

I think that the SE prefix stands for "special enlistment", used in a variety of circumstances to cover the entry of men with particular qualifications.

I'm afraid that, unless his service record has survived, it is almost impossible to find his unit, but do you or the family have any letters from him, or about him, which mention the name of an officer, or even an abbreviated form of the name of his unit? Is there anything on the medal card which indicates "date of entry into theatre" - it's usually a date, followed by a code number to indicate where he went - 1 for France, for instance.

Ron

• 3 years later...

My g grandfather Mornington Wisdom Sutton was at Suvla Bay, he was in the royal veterinary corps , he made a cross there out of what looks like a bit of a shell case and inscribed it Suvla Bay, his son who was born in 1915 was called Mornington William Ian Hamilton Sutton after his general.

1 hour ago, Stef russell said:

My g grandfather Mornington Wisdom Sutton was at Suvla Bay,

Welcome to the Forum Stef,

His Medal Index Card confirms that he landed in that theatre on 19/7/15.

He was entitled to the 1914/15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal. In addition he earned the Meritorious Service Medal for work in France, by which date he was an acting Sergeant. The London Gazette date was 17th June 1918. It was for 'Devotion to duty' rather than an act of Bravery.

His full service number was SE/4206 which indicates that he was a Special Enlistment, ie he already had appropriate skills for the AVC and would have been drafted overseas pretty quickly after enlistment, I suspect. Perhaps he was experienced with handling horses ? -edit I see he was a groom/coachman in the 1911 Census so ideally suited.

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

1 hour ago, Stef russell said:

Mornington William Ian Hamilton Sutton after his General

Splendid !

PS which generation was this Jack-the-lad ?  I assume a 25 year old MWIH Sutton rather than his 52 year old father ? 

Sussex 1940 and 1941 newspapers respectively (courtesy findmyPast)

1266269478_GWFMorningtonSutton1.JPG.b37b505650dc9076f9647a18e0e41c9e.JPG1967689794_GWFMorningtonSutton2.JPG.bbe1277b97df3f146ab63a9ccb45d001.JPG

Charlie