Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

harrison_ja

Anyone able to help?

I'm researching a relative: Sapper William J. Montgomery ENRIGHT 238083 Royal Engineers (this info is from his medal card).

He doesn't appear to have an earlier service number/corps so I think that he was a direct - probably conscript - enlistment into a regular (non-territorial force) unit of the REs, and therefore not affected by the Territorial Force renumbering in 1917 as his number is not in the range 400001+.

He turned 18 on 19/11/1916 so presumably would have been conscripted and was probably living somewhere in Wiltshire (his father was a constable and therefore moved around, but presumably only within the Wilts constabulary area).

He must have served some time overseas in 1914-18, as he was eligible for the BWM - British War Medal.

Is it possible to identify - or best guess - his unit within the REs?

Perhaps from his service number?

Or his place on the medal roll at RE/101 B (or poss. 13) 125 page 27239 ?

Or was there recruitment to particular RE units from the Wiltshire area?

Jim

harrison_ja@hotmail.com

post-109270-0-83560300-1399629332_thumb.

Have you found a service record?

Because of his age he may not have gone overseas until 1917.

Jim

He has a service record. and was a wireless operator with the RE Signal Service.

Attested Wolverhampton 6.11.16

Mobilised 6.3.17

Trained as a wireless operator with A Company Signal Training Depot, Fenny Stratford.

Before he was mobilised he took a course in wireless telegraphy at the City Wireless School, Manchester. It appears he may have taken this on his own initiative as his certificate is dated 4.2.17

13.4.18 Passed his wireless operator proficiency test at Newport Pagnell.

22.9.18 - joined No 6 Wireless Observation Group

29.12.18 - joined No1 GHQ Wireless Observation Group

Served in the Army of Occupation.

Demobilised (in the rank of Cpl) December, 1919.

Wireless Observation Groups were part of signals intelligence and at the time he joined them were being used to identify the location of German signal stations.

TR

Terry Reeves, you're a diamond!

Where on earth did you find that - it's gold dust! I'd given up finding anything on him. We suspected that he might have been at Wolverhampton after leaving school (as he was after the war), even though his parents were in Wiltshire, so it sounds good.Can you get me a copy for the family records - either a screen shot or pic if you're using the original?? My email is harrison_ja AT hotmail.com

Jim