Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with Forts in Hampshire

Guest jeannied

Guest jeannied

I have been looking for information on my grandfathers sisters husband Charles Hill Born 1892 Sussex

They were married 1915 Woking Surrey on the marriage cert it states he is a soldier Address Fort Brockhurst Gosport her mame was Lilian Maud Williams

In 1911 he was at Golden Hill Fort Freshwater Isle Of Wight with 33 company R.G.A

I have searched relentlessly for info on him in the hope of trying to find out more about my great Aunt but no one seems to know anything about these two forts in WW1

Any help appreciated

Thank you

Jean

Jean

Fort Brockhurst was used during the Great War as a Recruitment Centre and afterwards as a Demobilisation Centre. A 3-inch Heavy Anti-Aircraft gun was mounted at the fort in 1917.

The Fort is open to the public.

Dave

Jean

This gives some interesting information with regard to Golden Hill:

http://www.victorianforts.co.uk/pdf/datasheets/goldenhill.pdf

This also gives drawings and photographs of the place prior to it being converted into luxury apartments as well as other information:

http://www.goldenhillfort.co.uk/files/documents/report.PDF

You might also try the Palmerston Forts Society who will have some information as well:

http://www.palmerstonfortssociety.org.uk

TR

Jean,

Fort Brockhurst became No. 2 Depot RGA, from Fort Rowner, on the 25th Sept. 1915. This was one of the four main Depots of the RGA where newly conscripted/mobilised men were sent to finalise their enlistment before being posted on for further training to companies and then batteries. Your relative may have been there on the Depots establishment helping in its administration. Between April 1915 to March 1916, to include Fort Rowner, 5854 gunners passed through the depot.

Do you know his number?

Kevin

Jean

Fort Brockhurst was used during the Great War as a Recruitment Centre and afterwards as a Demobilisation Centre. A 3-inch Heavy Anti-Aircraft gun was mounted at the fort in 1917.

The Fort is open to the public.

Dave

Whatever source did that come from?

Kevin

Golden Hill Fort was at one time a Royal Garrison Artillery Coastal defence training school, with the guns based at Cliff End Fort.

Guest jeannied

Thank you so much for all your help unfortunatly I do not have his number it wasn't on the marriage cert

I will try Palmerston Forts society to see if they have any details otherwise I will draw a line under this

Regards

Jean

You would think that they could have researched for the article a bit better wouldn't you. Perhaps they do not know the difference between a recruitment/demobilisation centre and one of the main depots for Gt. Britain during WW1. How very odd.

You would indeed Kevin. Good job there's someone like you that does know.

Dave