Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Oswaldtwistle War Memorial, Lancashire

Kitchener's Bugle

Oswaldtwistle War Memorial, Lancashire - images recently captured by myself.

I am sure that you will agree that this is a fine looking memorial!.

post-91995-0-76745300-1399419076_thumb.j

post-91995-0-45922300-1399419134_thumb.j

post-91995-0-20871400-1399419156_thumb.j

post-91995-0-53783400-1399419183_thumb.j

post-91995-0-70911600-1399419237_thumb.j

post-91995-0-32724500-1399419301_thumb.j

post-91995-0-94427000-1399419338_thumb.j

post-91995-0-56806800-1399419360_thumb.j

post-91995-0-04810300-1399419386_thumb.j

Lovely photos - thanks for posting.

Nice to see Thomas Philpott's name commemorated (he's one of the chaps in my signature).

Kind regards

Steve

Thanks for posting these excellent photos of this memorial.

Two things strike me though:

1) The memorial is complete, ie nothing has been stolen, officially removed or covered in Graffiti.

2) The soldier still has his bayonet.

I mention 2) particularly because many moons ago quite a number of bayonets were sawn off for 'health and safety' reasons here in West Yorkshire. The local council in Bradford particularly were worried that they may be sued if some person managed to impale their person upon such a dangerous object!! How they thought someone could actually manage this I have no idea!!

Surely a disclaimer notice would have worked just as well and removed the threat of any legal action being taken against local councils?

Thus works of art were disfigured by legalised thugs!! Disgraceful!!

Rant Over!!

Robert

A quite spectacular memorial KB, thanks for posting the photos. As usual my first thought at seeing a winged angel of victory is to try and work out if it is the same as the one at Varennes. I need to get out more.

Pete.

Thank you for these excellent images.

Well done the lads of Oswaldtwistle.

Harry

There are still several names missing from those plaques, plus a number of mistakes.

Also one man who did not die until the 1940's.

Haslingdens Memorial has the same two men, their bayonet has been replaced.

The W Rawcliffe on the memorial is a relative of my wife. He was William John Rawcliffe, born Oswaldtwistle 1899, died 24th November 1918. He was a driver in the Royal Field Artillery. He had 2 brothers who also served,Henry Peter Rawcliffe who surived, and Herbert Charles Rawcliffe who was killed on the first day of the Somme. Herbert was Private 17936 11th East Lancs, an Accrington Pal.

William Rawcliffe

William Rawcliffe.

Thanks for the feedback and other comments!.................... :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Just raw

Hi ron da villi, Henry Peter Rawcliffe had 5 sons, 3 survived to adulthood. His eldest son named Herbert Charles Rawcliffe after the uncle he never met will celebrate his 96th birthday next month.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Just raw

I knew I was tempting fate really when I wrote that. It was hope over common sense as grandad was getting weaker but he started on a steep decline last weekend and died Wednesday morning (11th june'14).I'm sure there was a death plaque for William, If I find out who's got them I'll post a pic of it.

I do believe the bayonet is a replacement as it was snapped off at some stage I could be wrong though , fantastic memorial walk mi dogs past it every morning

• 2 years later...
Guest Rawcliffe
On 5/9/2014 at 08:12, Ron da Valli said:

The W Rawcliffe on the memorial is a relative of my wife. He was William John Rawcliffe, born Oswaldtwistle 1899, died 24th November 1918. He was a driver in the Royal Field Artillery. He had 2 brothers who also served,Henry Peter Rawcliffe who surived, and Herbert Charles Rawcliffe who was killed on the first day of the Somme. Herbert was Private 17936 11th East Lancs, an Accrington Pal.

William Rawcliffe

William Rawcliffe.

William John Rawcliffe had three step brothers who served in the war: Henry Peter, Herbert Charles & Felix (was in the Accrington Pals & according to family lore went over the top with Herbert on the Somme.  Felix was wounded).  Bill died in Brighton in hospital.

Guest Rawcliffe
On 6/6/2014 at 07:15, Just raw said:

Hi ron da villi, Henry Peter Rawcliffe had 5 sons, 3 survived to adulthood. His eldest son named Herbert Charles Rawcliffe after the uncle he never met will celebrate his 96th birthday next month.

He also named a son William who unfortunately died in infancy.