Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

26th Battalion Royal Fusiliers

brianjohn

Lt George Bray of 26th Bn Royal Fusiliers DoW on 26th October 1917. His battalion had been in action on 20th September in the Menin Road battle. I am trying to find out if he was wounded in this battle and subsequently died of his wounds several weeks later or was wounded in further action on or around the 26th October 1917.

Regards

Brian

There is a George Thomas Bray listed as C Coy 32 Btn Royal Fusiliers. Death date 26/10/17.

Are you sure he was with 26th Btn?

Brian,

I cannot see Lt Bray mentioned in the War Diary although it does state that 14 officers were wounded during the 20th September attack on Tower Hamlets Ridge.

The officer casualties for October are named but he isn't among them.

Stuart

Brian,

Is he 26th or 32nd Battalion? CWGC and ODGW both have him as 32nd.

Like Stuart, I have checked the 26th war diary, with the same result.

It looks like his file at Kew in WO 339/100586.

Phil

Maybe someone has WD for 32nd?

32nd Diary mentions 10 wounded officers between 19th & 22nd September

He is listed as being at St Sever Cemetery Rouen.

It is possible he died at a hospital in Rouen.

Gents

The 124th Brigade War Diary appendices list casualties from the fighting around 20 September - though I presume this covers a few days before and after. 2Lt George Thomas Bray was recorded on the lists as being with 32nd RF and wounded. He presumably succumbed much later. That he is buried in Rouen suggests it was unlikely he DoW from fighting on the 26th October.

It is possible that he was gazetted having previously served as an OR with the 26th RF or he may have served with that battalion as an officer prior to posting to 32nd RF.

Kind regards

Colin

St Severin Cemetery

Almost all of the hospitals at Rouen remained there for practically the whole of the war. They included eight general, five stationary, one British Red Cross, one labour hospital, and No. 2 Convalescent Depot. A number of the dead from these hospitals were buried in other cemeteries, but the great majority were taken to the city cemetery of St. Sever. In September 1916, it was found necessary to begin an extension.

My apologies everybody - Lt Bray served with the 32nd Battalion. I think both 26 and 32 were both in action at the Menin Road.

My thanks to Colin Taylor who found Bray's name in the war diary of the 124th Brigade and that he was wounded on or about 20th September which confirms what I had surmised.

Thanks everybody

Brian