Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte J Moralee Northumberland Fusiliers - which Battalion?

dimwitt

Dear all,

I am trying to trace a bit of the history of a relative, Pte John Moralee (Service number 24482) of the Northumberland Fusiliers. I have the medal card, no Battalion number is given. However the qualifying date for the medals, 25 August 1915, narrows him down to either the 10th or 11th (Service) Battalions. There is no mention of him going to Italy with the 23rd Division but neither is there any reference to transfer to another unit/formation. He survived the war and was discharged to Class Z. Is there any way I can narrow the research down to identify the actual Battalion and therefore get hold of the correct War Diary?

Thanks.

Have you looked for his service record.

I've had a quick look on Ancestry and Forces War Records, although I am not a subscriber to either, no matches have come up for service records.

Good tip from Johnboy - some records are filed under Pensions on ancestry. Pte John Moralee, a miner, enlisted on 1 Sep 1914 and went to France on 25 Aug 1915 until 5 Nov 1917, when he was sent to Italy. Discharged Class Z on 11 Jan 1919.

On the front cover, it says that he served with 10th Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers, number 24482.

Thanks very much for the pointers and the extra info, I'll have a look. Is there any reason his service in Italy would not be recorded on the medal card?

Yes - the cards only show the theatre of war first served in and only then if the soldier qualified for a 1914-15 Star (i.e. went prior to 31 December 1915).

Thanks very much once again. I'm now even more intrigued by Pte Moralee, not helped that his service number 24482 is spookily similar to my old one which began 2488...

Nothing more to add to this one - served with 10th Bn, throughout the War and doesn't appear wounded or sick in any other sources.