Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Leinster Regiment 2nd Batallion

wmcbyrne

I am trying to find out details of a battle that the Leinster Regiment were involved in on August 9th 1915. My grand uncle William O'Neill died of his wounds on August 13th which I presume were caused on the 9th. The Batallion record states 'Action at Hoog' but nothing more specific.

Can anyone please help me. His brother Michael was killed earlier the same year in April, he was with the Kings own Liverpool Regiment. A tragedy for the family and very little knows of their lives in uniform.

William was number 2881 in the 2nd Battalion Leinster Regiment,which was part of 17 Brigade of 6 Division. He was born,resident and enlisted in Dublin.

To be precise about the position of his unit,which is indicated as being in the vicinity of Hooge at the time,you can see the unit War Diary which is downloadable for a fee of £.3.30:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C7352345

You would also get to read about his presence in the unit before that time.He first landed in France on 25 Oct 1914 so would have been in a reinforcement draft as the Battalion/Division had landed in August 1914. So you will be able to see his activity from start to finish.He was entitled to 3 campaign medals,1914 Star,British War and Victory Medals.

Died of Wounds is confirmed in records that I have checked. He has no known grave and is remembered on the Menin Gate Memorial in Ypres.

Dublin William O'Neill Private Leinster Regiment 2nd Battalion. 2881 13/08/1915 24 Dublin Dublin Dublin Died of wounds Son of Bernard and Mary O'Neill, of 3, Mary Street, Dublin. Panel 44. Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial in Belgium.

Dublin Michael O'Neill Private The King's (Liverpool Regiment) 4th Battalion. 9146 27/04/1915 30 Dublin Liverpool Dublin Killed in action Son of Bernard and Mary O'Neill, of 3, Mary Street, Dublin. Freeman’s Journal, 16/06/1915. Requiem Mass For Deceased Soldiers of St Michan’s Parish. Solemn Requiem Mass for the repose of the souls of the parishioners of St Michan’s who have fallen in the war was celebrated on Monday morning at 10 o’clock in Halston Street Church. Rev. Father Grimley, P.P., officiated, and there was a very large congregation, including many friends of the deceased soldiers, who came to offer their prayers for their departed relatives. After the Communion Rev. Father Grimley addressed a few appropriate words on the s--gaineance of the solemn occasion. Amongst those whose names were commemorated at the Mass were Joseph Mooney, Christopher Coughlan, William Russell, Patrick Dillon, Michael and Joseph Kavanagh, Christopher Hanlon, John Corrigan, Edward McCarthy, John Kean, Christopher Sheridan, Peter Butler, Patrick Butler, Patrick Redmond, Patrick O’Keeffe, James Brogan, Richard Scott, James Sexton, Thomas Moore, John Conroy, Patrick Yeates, Christopher Rafferty, Michael Byrne, Patrick Lynch, F Deegan, Thomas Monks, F McDowell, Patrick J Curran, Peter Brett, M O’Neill, John Lawler, Thomas Doolan, Patrick Doolan, Michael Manning, Michael Doyle, James Wynne, Michael Byrne, P McDermott, Charles Rochford. Panel 4 and 6.

Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial in Belgium.

Many thanks to you both..I have their war records and have visited the Menin gate to see their names. But having the War Diary is what I wanted.

Could you perhaps send me the link for the War Diary of the Liverpool Regiment 4th Battalion? Michael O'Neill joined the army before the war and was stationed we believe in far east as there is a photo of him taken in Hong Kong (I think). We are curious about when he enlisted. Is there any way of getting this information?

For the moment the War Diary,again digital and downloadable for £3.30,is under ref :

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C7353841

I'll see if I can suggest a date of enlistment later.

Later ! (not much though)

The nearest number in a database for KLR service number issue is 9316 enlisted on 8 Jul 1905,so maybe in the same year. Many men signed on for the 14 years, I read.

thank you but this link directs me to a record from Nov 1915. My grand-uncle died in April 1915. I also have the census for 1911 where he is registered as being a cabinet maker so we think he must have enlisted after that.

Hi

Michael was killed during an advance around Hill 60 north east of St. Jean in support of an attack being made by 1/4th Battalion, Ghurkha Rifles. This was his battalion’s first engagement, the advance being halted by artillery and heavy machine gun fire. The battalion was cut down by the machine gun fire as they encountered uncut wire entanglements. One party managed to advance to within 200 yards of the German trenches but this was the greatest advance. The battalion withdrew to La Brique with casualties of 383 men killed, wounded or missing.

The War Diary merely records,

“27 April 1915 - St. Jean - At 12 noon the battalion formed up for attack and assaulted German position in support of 1/4th Gurkha Rifles. The battalion suffered severely losing 2nd Lieutenant R.A. Lloyd killed, Captain Coltart, 2nd Lieutenants Jackson, Melly, Briggs, Simmace, Reid, Mapplebeck wounded and 2nd Lieutenant McConkey slightly wounded (fit for duty). Approximately 374 other ranks killed, wounded and missing.

The battalion moved back to morning billets at dusk and remained there for the night. Although the attack was not carried out, the object was obtained i.e. occupying enemy’s attention, for benefit of plans of 2nd Army.”

Regards,

Graeme

I am trying to find out details of a battle that the Leinster Regiment were involved in on August 9th 1915. My grand uncle William O'Neill died of his wounds on August 13th which I presume were caused on the 9th. The Batallion record states 'Action at Hoog' but nothing more specific.

Can anyone please help me. His brother Michael was killed earlier the same year in April, he was with the Kings own Liverpool Regiment. A tragedy for the family and very little knows of their lives in uniform.

Your G/U is mentioned in "Stand to" a diary of the trenches by Capt.Hitchcock 2nd Leinsters.He appears to have suffered a wound to the stomach on the 12th and died on the 13th, he was part of No.9 platoon, and was the lance corporal in No.3 section.

I have attached some info from the book, but I recommend you purchase a copy.It mentions alot of men by name and describes the conditions they had to endure.

More.

post-10169-0-69760200-1400179964_thumb.j

post-10169-0-76525000-1400179980_thumb.j

post-10169-0-03102000-1400180089_thumb.j

Thank you Graeme and Murrough, the old adage 'be careful what you wish for' comes to mind...that was pretty upsetting to read.

Murrough, I will certainly buy this book. This is the most personal account of my G/U that I or my father would ever have heard as his father never spoke about his two brothers that were killed in WWI.

Graeme, Can you tell me where you got this account, I can only find War Diary for after the date Michael was killed. I am also trying to find when he enlisted and where he served. We knew that he was en route back from some far east we believe and we also knew he was killed in his first action.

Thank you again both of you for your responses.

Hi Graeme

Thank you but this is the Leinster Regiment which I have I was looking for the war diary for the KLR from 1914 to April 1915 when he was killed.

Thank you again for all your help.

hi again...disregard last message. The section of war diary I want is not available on line yet so I have ordered it. It looks like the regiment only got to France in March 1915.

thanks again for all your help.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CONORMOB

Hi there all, thank you for this great service you are providing. I am looking to see if you have any information regarding "Lance Corporal Benjamin Joseph Lynch NO. 9552" 2nd Batallion Leinster Regiment. DOD 22 - 8 - 1915. MY wife's great grandfther

Grave_reference I. J. 20A.
Cemetery WIMEREUX COMMUNAL CEMETERY
Country France
Locality Pas de Calais

This is all the information I have been so far able to find following lack of informaion and deaths in her direct family. Anything at all that would point me in the correct direction would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Conor O'Brien

Dublin

Benjamin Joseph

Lynch

Lance Corporal

Leinster Regiment

2nd Battalion.

22/08/1915

Dublin

Dublin

Died of wounds

Son of John Thomas Lynch and Mary Elizabeth Lynch (Formerly Jones) of North Strand, Dublin.

Irish Times. Lynch-August 22, 1915, at Wimereux Hospital, France, of wounds, Lance Corporal B Lynch, 2nd Leinster Regiment, dearly beloved son of Mrs Lynch, 11 West Road, Dublin.

Weekly Irish Times, August 22 1916. Lynch-In loving memory of my dear son, Lance Corporal B Lynch, 2nd Leinster Regiment, who died at Wimereux Hospital, Boulogne, from wounds received in action, 22nd August, 1915. “True till death.”

I. J. 20A.

Wimereux Communal Cemetery in France.

Guest AlanFLynch

Hi there all, thank you for this great service you are providing. I am looking to see if you have any information regarding "Lance Corporal Benjamin Joseph Lynch NO. 9552" 2nd Batallion Leinster Regiment. DOD 22 - 8 - 1915. MY wife's great grandfther

Grave_reference I. J. 20A.

Cemetery WIMEREUX COMMUNAL CEMETERY

Country France

Locality Pas de Calais

This is all the information I have been so far able to find following lack of informaion and deaths in her direct family. Anything at all that would point me in the correct direction would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Conor O'Brien

Hi Conor,

Benny was my great-uncle (my grandfather Stephen's older brother) and one of at least 17 children.

Benny's service record was destroyed during the Blitz, however, I have managed to write a short biography of his equally short life. Please email me at lynch.alan.f@gmail.com for more info.

Alan Lynch

PS I am very surprised to hear that your wife is Benny's great-granddaughter as we had no visibility that Benny married or had children.

Guest CONORMOB

Hi Museumtom & Alan,

Thanks a million for the replies and information. Alan, as requested I have also mailed you directly.

Thanks again,

Conor.

Guest AlanFLynch

No probs, Conor. I have emailed you on all the info I have. The file was 11 MB so please let me know if you received it or not.

Thanks,

Alan

• 3 months later...
Guest montgomery1946

Searching for any information of JOSEPH ROBERT PEARCE recorded as attending my grandfather wedding as a witness in 1909 at Portsmouth SOLDIER IN 2nd Leinsters also shown as ROBERT PEARCE 2nd Leinsters on grandfathers birth certificate ar Crinkill in Nov 1886. cant find him anywhere