Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Beddgelert War Memorial

shirlgwil

Shirley, please add this on your facebook page for John Williams, Glandon who was also a relative of Linda Gough O'Marah.

He embarked from Sydney NSW on HMAT A40 Ceramic on 14th April 1916 as part of 31 Battalion, 6th Reinforcement. Next of kin on his enlistment in Brisbane Queensland at the age of 25years and 5months was his sister Kate Owens of 65 New Street, Porthmadog.He was 5'8" tall of dark complexion brown eyes and dark hair and weighed 158lbs.

Arrived in Plymouth 16/06/1916 for training arrived France 16/09/1916 joined unit on 24/10/1916 served in France until kia 25/05/1918. Awarded 1914/15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal medals and Death Plaque received by Mrs K Owens 06/11/1922.

John was one of 16 men on a fighting patrol near Bouzencourt which at 02.15am attempted to cut wire, three of wire were cut but whilst attempting to cut the fourth they were heard,three were killed and seven wounded, the raiding party returned with the wounded and two of the dead one of these was John. He was buried in the vercinity of Bouzencourt (map ref. Sh.62d.NE). Unfortunately after heavy shelling the body was lost and is now one of the unknown burials commemorate at Villers-Bretonneux Memorial.

Hope this is of help to other members of his family who were seeking further information.

Kevin

Great stuff............. :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

I have started a Facebook page dedicated to the Beddgelert War Memorial as I have two relations on it. I wonder if anyone else has relations on it so that we can work to fill in the gaps.

https://www.facebook.com/CofGolofnBeddgelertWarMemorial

Shirley

Dear Shirley,

I recently visited Beddgelert (my brother lived in Nantmor at one time) and took some photos, including this one:

post-102943-0-82513500-1408890499_thumb.

Going from the top I've found details about Captain Rudd and Sgt Pierce but can't find Sgt.Major F Marshall.

Do you have any information about the latter?

I see Capt. Rudd is crossed out on the CWGC Thiepval Monument page (Ancestry) - do you think it was because they found out he was buried elsewhere (Serre Road cemetary)? I wonder if he is on the TM or not..

Have you researched everyone on the memorial? Sorry - not on Facebook..

Mike

On Tuesday 1st December the death occurred at the Military Hospital, Aldershot of Sgt F Marshall, Sugyn Terrace, Beddgelert. On Monday Mrs Marshall had received a letter saying that he was very ill suffering from a cold. He received a Military funeral at Aldershot on Friday. Sgt Marshall was 50 years old. He had spent a long time with the military in India. After returning, he came, about ten years ago, to live in Beddgelert. When war broke out he was recruiting Sgt at Beddgelert. In October he went to Aldershot as Drill Instructor. (Caernarvon Herald 11/12/1914)

Name:

MARSHALL

Initials:

F

Nationality:

United Kingdom

Battery Serjeant Major

Regiment/Service:

Royal Field Artillery

Unit Text:

224th Bty.

Date of Death:

01/12/1914

Service No:

Casualty Type:

Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference:

AF. 1762.

Cemetery:

ALDERSHOT MILITARY CEMETERY

Hywyn, I don't know how you did it but thanks very much. I didn't see him on CWGC - loss of concentration by page 12!

Mike