Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Dardanelles

blackburnian

Can anyone tell me if any Lancashire Regiment(s) served at the Dardanelles? I believe my great Uncle saw action there, but unfortunately I have no knowledge of his Regiment.

Regards

Blackburnian

Straight off the top of my head they called one of the Gallipoli beaches Lancashire Landing so your answer is Yes ! I will do a look round and come back.

Here's a bit of DIY instead !

http://www.1914-1918.net/Gallipoli.htm

Click on each Division and scroll down the units to find them all.

6th East Lancs, 6th South Lancs, 6th Loyal North Lancs and 6th King's Own were part of 38 Infantry Brigade, there from July 1915 to January 1916.

And 42 (East Lancs) Div were there too. I believe there were more units from Lancashire on Gallipoli than there were from Australia.

Ron

Can anyone tell me if any Lancashire Regiment(s) served at the Dardanelles? I believe my great Uncle saw action there, but unfortunately I have no knowledge of his Regiment.

Regards

Blackburnian

If you could post his full name and any details which you have regarding his war service, then it may be possible to find out from the Medal Index Cards which unit he served with at Gallipoli.

I assume that he came from Blackburn? If so, I believe that the 4th Bn East Lancashire Regiment is the most likely because they were based in Blackburn and recruited locally. Of course this is only supposition on my part as he could quite easily have served in any one of a number of other battalions/regiments.

Robert

The full list of 25 Lancashire units that served at Gallipoli is below.

1st Bn Lancashire Fusiliers..................................................86th Inf Bde, 29th Div

1/5th Lancashire Fusiliers (TF)............................................125th Inf Bde 42nd (East Lancs) Div (TF)

1/6th Lancashire Fusiliers (TF)............................................125th Inf Bde 42nd (East Lancs) Div (TF)

1/7th Lancashire Fusiliers (TF)............................................125th Inf Bde 42nd (East Lancs) Div (TF)

1/8th Lancashire Fusiliers (TF)............................................125th Inf Bde 42nd (East Lancs) Div (TF)

9th (Service) Bn Lancashire Fusiliers...................................34th Inf Bde, 11th (Northern) Div

6th (Service) Bn King's Own Royal Lancaster Regt..............38th Inf Bde 13th (Western) Div

6th (Service) Bn South Lancashire Regt...............................38th Inf Bde 13th (Western) Div

6th (Service) Bn Loyal North Lancashire Regt......................38th Inf Bde 13th (Western Div

6th (Service) Bn East Lancashire Regt.................................38th Inf Bde 13th (Western) Div

1/4th East Lancashire Regt (TF)...........................................125th Inf Bde 42nd (East Lancs) Div (TF)

1/5th East Lancashire Regt (TF)...........................................125th Inf Bde 42nd (East Lancs) Div (TF)

1/1st East Lancs Bde RFA (TF).............................................42nd (East Lancs) Div (TF)

1/2nd East Lancs Bde RFA (TF)............................................42nd (East Lancs) Div (TF)... note left in Egypt

1/3rd East Lancs Bde RFA (TF).............................................42nd (East Lancs) Div (TF)

1/4th East Lancs Bde RFA (TF).............................................42nd (East Lancs) Div (TF)

1/1st East Lancs Field Coy RE (TF).......................................42nd (East Lancs) Div (TF)

1/2nd East Lancs Field Coy RE (TF)......................................42nd (East Lancs) Div (TF)

1/3rd East Lancs Field Coy RE (TF).......................................42nd (East Lancs) Div (TF)

1/5th Bn Manchester Regt (TF)...............................................127th Inf Bde 42nd (East Lancs) Div (TF)

1/6th Bn Manchester Regt (TF)...............................................127th Inf Bde 42nd (East Lancs) Div (TF)

1/7th Bn Manchester Regt (TF)...............................................127th Inf Bde 42nd (East Lancs) Div (TF)

1/8th Bn Manchester Regt (TF)...............................................127th Inf Bde 42nd (East Lancs) Div (TF)

1/9th Bn Manchester Regt (TF)...............................................126th Inf Bde 42nd (East Lancs) Div (TF)

1/10th Bn Manchester Regt (TF).............................................126th Inf Bde 42nd (East Lancs) Div (TF)

11th (Service) Bn Manchester Regt.........................................34th Inf Bde, (11th Northern) Div

Many thanks to everyone who has responded to me. My Great Uncle's name was Walter Shorrock who was born in 1885 and was from Blackburn Lancashire. As I stated previously I have no information to which Regiment he belonged.

Regards

Blackburnian

Looks like you might be in luck,

• There are Pension Papers on Ancestry for 200443 CPL Walter Shorrock of 1/4th Battalion, East Lancashire Regiment.
  • Residence is listed as 35 Witron Parade, Blackburn.
  • 29 years old on 4 August 1914 so born 1885.
  • Appears to have served Egypt, Gallipoli and France and discharged due to Gastritis.
  • The 1/4th East Lancs were part of the 42nd Division. http://www.1914-1918.net/42div.htm
  • Appears he may also have lost his stripes at one stage.

Rgds

Tim D

The full list of 25 Lancashire units that served at Gallipoli is below.

Wow, and thanks! I have just bought a P.1888 marked to the 7th Manchester Regiment, and had worked out that they were there - but I never knew it was that many Lancashire units involved atGallipoli! My granddad joined the ‘5th Batt. Loyal North Lancs. Reg.’ on 05 Jun 1915, I assume in connection with the losses then being suffered out in Gallipoli, but he ended up seeing active service with the 1st Herefordshire Regiment in Egypt/Palestine.

Wow, and thanks! I have just bought a P.1888 marked to the 7th Manchester Regiment, and had worked out that they were there - but I never knew it was that many Lancashire units involved atGallipoli! My granddad join the ‘5th Batt. Loyal North Lancs. Reg.’ on 05 Jun 1915, I assume in connection with the losses then being suffered out in Gallipoli, but he ended up seeing active service with the 1st Herefordshire Regiment in Egypt/Palestine.

I hope you don't mind me pointing out that it was 6th Loyal North Lancs who were at Gallipoli and landed on 6 July - the 5th served in France.

No, not a problem! I was just thinking that the losses at Gallipoli might have encouraged granddad to volunteer, but as it was he signed on for home service only (he was 26, married with 3 kids), and coming from Bolton he was naturally assigned to the 5th. But then on 13 Oct 1916 he was posted to the 2/1 Herefordshire Regiment, and then on 05 May 1917 was posted to the 1/1 Herefordshire Regiment and was immediatly sent out to Egypt.

Thank you very much Tim D - that is superb. I don't have his date of birth but this is definitely him. Would I be able to view his Service Record and Medal Card? Also would there be a reason given for his loss of stripes?

Many thanks again.

Regards

Blackburnian

Looks like you might be in luck,

• There are Pension Papers on Ancestry for 200443 CPL Walter Shorrock of 1/4th Battalion, East Lancashire Regiment.
  • Residence is listed as 35 Witron Parade, Blackburn.
  • 29 years old on 4 August 1914 so born 1885.
  • Appears to have served Egypt, Gallipoli and France and discharged due to Gastritis.
  • The 1/4th East Lancs were part of the 42nd Division. http://www.1914-1918.net/42div.htm
  • Appears he may also have lost his stripes at one stage.

Rgds

Tim D

Excellent result :thumbsup:

From FreeBMD the birth of a Walter Shorrock was registered in March 1885.

District: Blackburn

Volume: 8E

Page: 439

You will be able to view the christening page, which gives date of birth, on Ancestry.

Alan

• Admin

Excellent result :thumbsup:

Makes it a tad easier when the soldier is named, on this occasion it only took two requests and twenty four hours :thumbsup:

Ken

You will need to obtain his Pension Papers from Ancestry. Users are not allowed to Post on the site I'm afraid.

Link here:

http://search.ancestry.com.au/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=1&new=1&MSAV=1&msT=1&gss=angs-c&gsfn=walter&gsln=shorrock&cpxt=1&uidh=tg7&cp=11&pcat=39&h=652680&db=BritishArmy&indiv=1&ml_rpos=1

He was promoted to Lance Sergeant on 1 April 1917. It looks like he lost a Lance Sergeant stripe in January 1918 for failing to arrest a SGT in the SGT's Mess after being ordered to by another SGT who was Acting Company Sergeant Major. He was a CPL at the time of his discharge.

Medal Index Card here:

http://search.ancestry.com.au/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=1&new=1&MSAV=1&msT=1&gss=angs-c&gsfn=walter&gsln=shorrock&cpxt=1&uidh=tg7&cp=11&pcat=39&h=2188789&recoff=9+10&db=MedalRolls&indiv=1&ml_rpos=5

You can also download here:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D5144392

For some reason he does not seem to have a 1914/15 Star recorded on his Medal Index Card, only the British War Medal and Victory Medal although he should be entitled to all three according to his Pension Papers as he clearly served on Gallipoli and in Egypt pre 1916.

Was also awarded a Silver War Badge. He was discharged 18 October 1918 due to sickness (Indigestion according to pension papers, but gas is also mentioned). In his Pension papers he is listed as wounded by gas on 29 June 1917. SWB details here:

http://interactive.ancestry.com/2456/wo329_3077-00241/361489?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.com%2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3findiv%3d1%26db%3dSilverWarBadgeMedals%26rank%3d1%26new%3d1%26MSAV%3d1%26msT%3d1%26gss%3dangs-d%26gsfn%3dwalter%26gsln%3dshorrock%26dbOnly%3d_F000678D%257c_F000678D_x%252c_F8006879%257c_F8006879_x%26uidh%3dtg7%26pcat%3d39%26fh%3d0%26h%3d361489%26recoff%3d%26ml_rpos%3d1&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnRecord

Did he have a brother named William born 1883? The next set of Pension papers is a man of this name from Blackburn. Served in the Royal Flying Corps at home. There is also a William Edward born around 1876.

He departed France on 21 March 1918 at time the German offensive Operation Michael started. Lucky to have made it back to the UK at this time. Interestingly for me he went home on the SS Peter De Konick which was the same ship my Grandfather was invalided home on in August 1918.

Rgds

Tim

post-1563-0-91759600-1399647261_thumb.jp