Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'W.J.' 6th Batallion South Staffordshire Regiment.

MikeyH

Some years ago I purchased at auction a silver topped malacca walking cane. This was heavily tarnished and upon cleaning the silver the monogram 'W.J.' was revealed also '6th S.Staffs 1916'. The top carries a Birmingham hallmark for 1915 and the makers name of George Loveridge. Presumably 'W.J.' was an officer and I think would have survived the War as the stick has been well used. It would be nice to link this to an individual, anyone any ideas how to go about tracing the name?

Mike.

go through all the medal index cards for the regiments officers for a start

Didn't senior ncos carry these as well?

Could possibly be Captain and Quarter Master John Willner(I know that the initials are wrong way round)who served with the 1/6th South Staffs. Cannot immediately see any other officers who fit the initials whichever way round they are!!

He was mentioned in Despatches and Killed in Action on 7/4/18.

Thanks to all for your inputs, the cane is of a civilian pattern with a length of a little over 32". It seems that the identity of 'W.J.' will remain elusive. Whilst there is no reason that 'other ranks' could have owned such a stylish item, it seems to be more likely to have belonged to a member of the 'officer class'.

Mike.

I have named photos of the 2/6th taken in August 1915 and February 1917, both show a Captain W.A. Jordan.

Roy

Roy,

An intriguing possibility, have just found an old post on this Forum (040605) which lists Capt. W.A. Jordan as missing in action on 21st March 1918. It is in the form of an extract from 2/6th South Staffs Regimental Diary and describes 'a black day in the history of the unit'. First day of Operation Michael, '23 officers and about 600 o.r. missing'. A black day indeed, at the end of that day all but a few of the 2/6th were wiped out.

Mike.