Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

NZEF 18th reinforcements otago D company

samanth21

hello all. can somone please help me. im trying to find photos of nzef 18th reinforcements otago D-company 16-10-1916 or 2nd battalion otago regt 8th company 28-3-1917 looking for my great grandad john thomas lyes. #29994

Hello Samanth21

Welcome to the GWF ~ Great to have you on board

That is a big ask, a photo of a soldier, but one that we all have asked at one time or another. Have you asked around your family, you have to ask members that you least likely expect to have any photos or information, you would be amazed how things are given to or handed down into different family branches. Ask everyone!! old and young.

Photos of individual men that were casualties are easier to find due the their photos been published in the Weekly News at the time. You may have no luck finding individual photos but may find company photos or Johns reinforcement or regiment

No doubt you have already seen John's cenotaph page and read his service file John Thomas LYES

The Otago Battalion diary is at New Zealand Archives in Wellington or if you want to read the official history of the Otago Regiment at NZETC you can follow or trace John's Battalion or Company

Do some searching in the Heritage Collection of the Auckland City Libraries You will find photos from the Auckland Weekly News that will feature the Eighteenths or 18th's. You will have to try lots of different 'key words' and always expand the page so you can see other images published on the same page

The Eighteenths marched over the Rimutakas from Featherston to Trentham camp, bit of a Haka along the way by the looks

post-49999-0-67708100-1399119903_thumb.j

Also 'Papers Past' they wont have photos but their will be lots of articles that John's name appears in, like wounded lists, embarkation for camp/war and news from the Eighteenth's. Enter 'J T Lyes' (Exact phrase) and you will find quite a few mentions of John

You will find John's Troopship Magazine of the 18th's 'The Willochra Truth' and it may even mention him, often a draft list in the back of the booklets

Also check with Phil or Matt who are publishing the 'Onward' series of books, someone may have already submitted a photo of John, you never know

Onward Project They have already published ten thousand photos of WW1 soldiers in two books. PDF of names available on supplied page

post-49999-0-01405700-1399119196_thumb.j

I will have bit of a look around for you also...

Wendy

Eighteenth's embarking Wellington

post-49999-0-51733000-1399121081_thumb.j

.... another of Eighteenth's embarking Wellington

post-49999-0-82978800-1399121166_thumb.j

Eighteenth's march over the Rimutakas. Kaitoke Camp where they stayed the night before marching down into Trentham...

post-49999-0-66369500-1399121480_thumb.j

PUTTING THE FINISHING TOUCHES TO THEIR TRAINING: NEW ZEALAND'S EIGHTEENTH REINFOECEM ENTS MARCHING OVER THE RIMUTAKA RANGES RECENTLY. COVERED WITH WATERPROOF SHEETS TO PROTECT THEM FROM HEAVY RAIN

post-49999-0-00417300-1399121838_thumb.j

THE REECENT MARCH OK NEW ZEALAND'S EIGHTEENTH REINFORCEMENTS FROM FEATHERSTON TO TRENTHAM OVER THE RIMUTAKAS : THE MEN NJOYING REFRESHMENTS ON THE TOP OF THE RANGES

post-49999-0-53689600-1399122091_thumb.j

NEW ZEALAND'S EIGHTEENTH REINFOECEMENTS READY FOE ANY WEATHER: SHELTER IN BIVOUACS AT KAITOKE DURING THE RECENT MARCH OVER THE RIMUTAKA RANGES

post-49999-0-73387900-1399122345_thumb.j

Waiouru Military Museum They have Battalion and Company photos taken at Sling camp, the photos were taken just before the men were shipped over to France.

There are limited photos, but still worth contacting the archivist. Just email Dolores Ho the head archivist and she will do a quick look up for you

....also their is a military museum/research centre at Burnham Camp, Christchurch. Contact the camp via phone and they will give you a contact to talk to.

Best Regards

Wendy Mac...

You have a very nice service file to research, it's printed very tidally and easy to follow, a great file for starting out with. If you need any help interpreting it just sing out. I see both of johns sailings over and back were on the Willochra, would have given him some comfort coming home on a troopship he was familiar with no doubt.

Reading this I see that John was with the New Zealand Engineers tunnelling Coy, posted 3 March 1917, he was not with the Infantry as I first thought. Though he did train with the Otago's Infantry in New Zealand and then posted to the Tunnelling Coy in France.

post-49999-0-74146100-1399164947_thumb.j

post-49999-0-67233200-1399165489_thumb.j

post-49999-0-71611100-1399165540_thumb.j

Here is some reading material The Official History of the New Zealand Engineers during the Great War 1914-1919 if you haven't already found it.

The long long Trail - Mention the Tunnelling Corps - The Long Long Trail is a sister site to the Great War Forum, both started by the same chap.

The New Zealand Tunnelling Company

• 4 weeks later...

thank you all for your help and taking time up.

have a great day.

You are very welcome

I hope you are making good progress with your research

Best regards

Wendy

You are very welcome

I hope you are making good progress with your research

Best regards

Wendy

yes have found a photo of him at last. now i know what he looks like. makes it easier.

• 10 months later...

hello all can somone please tell me where was the 2nd batt Otago reg 8th company between 28/4/1917 to 9/6/1917

plus where were they on the 16/6/1917

please.