Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte George Peel 19th DLI "Bantams"

krpeel

My Grandfather, George Peel, enlisted on December 11 1915 for the 19th DLI. He was a true Bantam at 5' 1/2'' and worked as a miner.

According to his service record, he was permanently transferred to the 13th East Lancashire Reg. on October 19 1918 where he remained until July 15 1919 when he was transferred to the army reserves.

I am wondering if the entire 19th reg. transferred at this time or was this done on an individual basis.

Regards

Kevin

Hi,

The whole of the history of 19/DLI is covered in "Durham Pals".

In short they ceased to be a "Bantam" battalion in 1917 and after medical inspection a lot of the bantams were transferred out.

I'm afraid I can find no reference to a George Peel with 19/DLI and given his enlistment date I suspect he is numbered 23/????

I can not find a record on line so can you give me a DLI or E Lancs number to work from.

regards

John

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply.

His service record survived and I have a copy of it. He was posted to the 3rd Reg? DLI in June 1915 I assume for training. Looks like he was posted to the 19th in Oct. 1915.

Shows his transfer from the DLI to E. Lancs. Reg. in Oct. 1918. "If there is a reason I can't make it out". He was discharged from the 13th E. Lanc. Reg.

I have just recently ordered "Durham Pals", looking forward to reading it.

His Regtl. No. is 41436

Kevin

Hi

if his number in the DLI was 41436 then there is no way he enlisted in 1915.

the 4???? series was not introduced until 1916.

ON CHECKING the MICards 41436 is his East Lancashire Regiment Number. His MIC only has this detail so indicating he was never overseas with 19/DLI.

If he was a Durham bantam he will have a number starting 19/ or 23/ followed by a 3 or 4 digit number.

In your first post you say "George Peel, enlisted on December 11 1915 for the 19th DLI"

yet in the post above "3rd Reg? DLI in June 1915" I think here you mean 3rd Battalion but if he was an original Bantam he wouldn't have gone to 3/DLI unless posted out of 19/DLI

Where was he from?

regards

John

Hi John,

My mistake,

I have his original discharge document, so I know the 41436 number is his.

It says he enlisted on Dec. 11 1915 for the Durham L.I. and was discharged from the 13th E Lancs in July 1919

The record of his transfer says he was transferred from 19/DLI to E. Lancs on Oct. 19 1918.

I do not see any other Reg. numbers, would he have been assigned a new number upon transferring to E. Lancs?

According to my Grandfather, he was overseas for the duration of the war.

He was from Houghten le Spring.

Thank you for your patience, I am a newbie at this.

Kevin

Hi,

What is strange is that his Medal Index Card only shows service with the East Lancs and only the East Lancs number.

If he enlisted as you say on Dec 11 1915 then it is unlikely that he directly enlisted into 19/DLI more likely he joined 23/DLI which was the Reserve Bantam Battalion as did my great uncle James Frater.

If he was a Durham Bantam he should have a number like 19/1234 or 23/1234.

You need to check the Absentee Voter List 1918 for Houghton le Spring and see if that gives you his DLI number.

When you said you had his documents I assumed that you had his service documents but it would appear they were destroyed during WW2.

19/DLI did not go overseas until March 1916 so he could have joined them prior to embarkation but as I don't know of any lists surviving I cannot say 100% either way.

regards

John

Hi John,

Thanks so much for the information.

I see what you are saying, the MIC does show E. Lancs.

I acquired his service record several yrs. ago from the burnt records database.

There is a Dispersal Certificate from 1919 by the 13th E.Lancs. that indicates his original unit was 3rd DLI. Rather confusing?

Looks like the absent voter list for Durham Co. will be available on line later this year.

At least we know for sure he was in the 13th E.Lancs!

Thanks

Kevin

Hi,

I have looked all through ancestry and I cannot find his documents.

I take it that the top left corner has been damaged and there is no number there.

Is there an chance you could send a scan of them I may be able to work something out.

If his original unit was 3/DLI then he wasn't an original bantam, Or he was transferred from 19/DLI to 3/DLI and some of the paperwork is missing.

regards

John

Hi John,

Here you go, I omitted several that are either unreadable or don't add more info.

Kevin

post-109973-0-77249300-1399158903_thumb.

post-109973-0-23925000-1399159003_thumb.

post-109973-0-85443000-1399159059_thumb.

post-109973-0-38952900-1399159101_thumb.

post-109973-0-61918500-1399159157_thumb.

Hi again,

It is as I suspected he was never with a Bantam unit of the DLI even though his height suggest he should have been.

If you look at the top left of the Attestation sheet there is a number I think it is 45561 with a line through it that is his original DLI number, which is not as I said a Bantam number.

If you then look at the "casualty active service form" you will see he attested for the DLI on 11/12/15 but is transferred immediately to the Army Reserve, i.e he stayed at home.

If you look at the bottom of the attestation form you will see the officer has not signed it until 6 June 1918 when he is called up.

In June 1918 he is called up and attached to 7/Worcestershire Regiment at Blyth and remains with them until 14/10/18.

He is then put on a draft to 19/DLI on 15/10/18, but as in so many cases the draft never reached 19/DLI and was sent to 13/East Lancs who probably needed the men more than the DLI.

Another clue to overseas service is that he was only granted one blue overseas service chevron indicating he only spent one year at the most overseas.

regards

John

Now I have found the right documents on ancestry I can see his DLI number is 95881 which fits exactly with men called up in June 1918 and attached to 7/Worcestershire Regiment.

If you look at my family list you will see my grandfathers brother James Sheen was numbered only 9 men in front of him and was attached to 7/Worcestershire Regiment the same day, however he was returned to the mines and never went overseas.

Thanks for posting the documents as it pointed me to the right set on ancestry.

Hope what I have written makes sense and helps you.

regards

John

John your the best...

It all makes perfect sense, I don't think I would have ever figured it out.

Looks like he made it overseas with the E.Lancs. just in time to see the Wars end.

Grandpa used to say "Honi Soit Qui Maly Pense". I never knew what it meant.

It is on the East Lancashire's banner

Thanks again

Kevin