Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Attestation Documents where people are called up? May 1916? But no

Marilynn

I have a great Uncle and he has an attestation paper where he joined or was called up at 18 and 21 days.(1916) I cannot find any other information on him. Was the Kings Liverpool Regiment. There are no "medal cards", I can find, I can only assume he did not go abroad. He was signed for the "Land Fusiliers" of which I cannot find any information. What were the land fusiliers? My other great granddads (and their brothers and cousins where called up died, came back etc.) but this particular one is perplexing? Any ideas?

• Admin

It might be best to post his name and number - there are plenty of people here who may be able to help.

From where did you get his attestation paper? It's possible that what you are reading as Land Fusiliers is in fact Lancs Fusiliers.

Regards

Russ

I would say he attested with Lancs Fusiliers.

There is a chance he was not accepted or exempt because of his job?

Try TNA for his MIC.

I would say he attested with Lancs Fusiliers.

There is a chance he was not accepted or exempt because of his job?

Try TNA for his MIC.

I am not sure - see my last post! Have so looked at the Lancs Fusillers - but no information on him. Tell me what did exactly a fusilier do? I assume play a musical instrument? Drums, trumpet etc? Am I wrong? I know in the 18th century it was to do with guns - but in WW1?

A Fusilier was an Infantry soldier.

If you go to Long Long Trail top left of page you will find lots of info.

Again, try and see if he has a Medal Index Card on The National Archives site.

I assume you found his attestation papers on Ancestry or such like so you may even have a service number for him.

If you really want some help I suggest reading Long Long Trail ' how to research a soldier'.

A Fusilier was an Infantry soldier.

If you go to Long Long Trail top left of page you will find lots of info.

Again, try and see if he has a Medal Index Card on The National Archives site.

I assume you found his attestation papers on Ancestry or such like so you may even have a service number for him.

If you really want some help I suggest reading Long Long Trail ' how to research a soldier'.

Hi. Thank you. This is a really strange thing. Medal card is not at Ancestry although I intend to take a trip to Kew before August to see! My real issue is why "land fusiliers" and not go abroad? My other ancestors just joined and went to France/Flanders and had no things on attestation card except ACS or regiment. So a bit strange. But so what - still can get my information together before August!!! Thanks again. (I sort of knew about fusiliers - but why name them later on in a name from the 18th century in 1916 - as another relative was named a rifle man - same thing?

Google Royal Fusiliers history.

The Fusiliers men were called Privates Corporals etc.

I still think that you may be misreading Land Fusiliers.

As the other poster has asked, what was his name, where was he from and his service number?

(I sort of knew about fusiliers - but why name them later on in a name from the 18th century in 1916 - as another relative was named a rifle man - same thing?

By the time of WW1 they were all just infantry - most of the historical differences had disappeared.

Medal card is not at Ancestry although I intend to take a trip to Kew before August to see!

What's his name and number ?

The Medal Index Cards the National Archive have are all on their website and downloadable for £3.30. each.

Craig

By the time of WW1 they were all just infantry - most of the historical differences had disappeared.

What's his name and number ?

The Medal Index Cards the National Archive have are all on their website and downloadable for £3.30. each.

Craig

Hi Graig

Thanks. This is just a very strange thing. He has no (Patrick McHale - not the irish v.c.!) records on Ancestry. I think maybe as he was so young - later on 1916? - he did not go abroad? But why enlist him (I think it was a few weeks before conscription)? Very odd as his father was called up as a baker!! at about the same time! I know (the baker) not exactly on the front line - but he was in France. And hey..... you needed bread!! (As you probably know there were so many issues about supplies during WW!) But he was near - and he was about 42! So was life in WW1!

Where did you get the Attestation Form? And can you post it?

He has no (Patrick McHale - not the irish v.c.!) records on Ancestry.

Ancestry is not 100% complete on the Medal Index Card front - the original Medal Index Card images held by the National Archives are not 100% complete and , prior to Ancestry copying them, more cards had disappeared (and Ancestry have a lot of cards which were mis-transcribed so are difficult to find). If he never served abroad then he wouldn't have a Medal Index Card although he may have a Silver War Badge (SWB) card if he was discharged due to illness or injury.

The service records on Ancestry are the surviving records of which only about 30% still survive (and they aren't always transcribed properly and are often mixed up).

Craig

I have a great Uncle and he has an attestation paper where he joined or was called up at 18 and 21 days.(1916)

What date is given on the form for his attestation.

Craig

You seem to be avoiding some of the questions we have asked so at the moment I will move on.

May 1916. Can't read the exact date.

If he was a single man then would likely have been conscripted at that date.

Craig

Could be N'Land Fusiliers - need a name though, as I know a lot of Kings(Liverpool) were transferred to them late in the War.

Could be N'Land Fusiliers - need a name though, as I know a lot of Kings(Liverpool) were transferred to them late in the War.

See earlier. Name Patrick McHale (not the v.c. one!) He was single aged 18 and 21 days - signed up or was called up May 1916. I think just a few days before call up (draft)? No medal cards on Ancestry. No military records on Ancestry for him. (Born Liverpool). Just odd because I can't find records for him besides his Attestation papers. Given he was young and signed up to the "land fusiliers" 5th Btn Liverpool. Can't understand where he went? I will be taking a trip this month to Kew but thought try and find out some stuff before. Also have a grt grt uncle (died) ASC "driver" train ie horses. Don't know what "died" means? (Died at time of Somme - divisional train 53). As have other ancestor with DIA - this is clear - not sure what "died" means besides dead? If you see what I mean?

Just odd because I can't find records for him besides his Attestation papers.

Where did you get the papers from ?

In the top left of the first page (and usually at the top of the other pages) should be his service number - what number is shown ?

Craig

Where did you get the papers from ?

In the top left of the first page (and usually at the top of the other pages) should be his service number - what number is shown

Hi Craig. (Patrick Mchale land fusiliers 5th btn liverpool regiment - born Liverpool - his father served also as a Baker at nearly 42! - he has medal card - Joseph Mchale). Sorry not sure how to post the form here. Only has a number 57 - which I am sure is not his army number as I know my other (not Joseph) grt granddad's has 4 digits (he signed up 1914 - and lived!!). Thanks for trying to help. It is just strange not being able to find anything out. As you know family remembrances are not always accurate? I have a few family members on the case but no real information. This is why I think it is so strange. Perhaps simple he never went abroad and just came home, but seems odd to me a young man, and 1916 when then needed more recruits? (My grt grandad's cousin went at 17 and died at 18!!)