Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Trench Map Soupir on the Aisne/Chemin des Dames

ALANJONES

I was recently touring the area of the 1914 battles on the Aisne and became interested in the fighting by the Guards around La Cour de la Soupir Farm, just north of the village of Soupir.

If anyone has a trench map of that area (do they exist?) which they can share here that would be very much appreciated!

Many thanks

Alan

• Admin

Alan

No trench maps but if you get in touch with Maurice Johnson (MJohnson on here) he has a lot of stuff about Soupir.His internet use is a bit hit and miss these days but I will be seeing Dad later on today and will ask him to look out for your PM.

Michelle

I was recently touring the area of the 1914 battles on the Aisne and became interested in the fighting by the Guards around La Cour de la Soupir Farm, just north of the village of Soupir.

If anyone has a trench map of that area (do they exist?) which they can share here that would be very much appreciated!

Many thanks

Alan

Alan,

There is a hand drawn map (very detailed) of the area in the 5th Infantry Brigade War diary. I have a photo of the map from my last visit to Kew. Clearly shown are the village of Soupir and La Cour de Soupir farm. The positions of the 5th and 6th Infantry Brigades and their battalions are also clearly marked, with the Guards to the left of the 2nd Worcesters. Too big to post here but send me a PM and I'll email you a copy.

John

I would also recommend the book by Jerry Murland, 'Aisne 1918' by Pen@Sword, which contains sketch maps of the area.

David

Thank you everyone for the above - I have followed up the PM suggestions and also will look out Jerry's book.

I can also recommend 'The Marne 1914 - A Battlefield Guide' for an excellent guide to the earlier days on the Petit Morin. The British period on the 8th September is backed up by the local Tourist Board panels (currently being refurbished) along the Petit Morin and the associated ramblers track.

best wishes

Alan

I should have said by Andrew Uffindell and it is by Pen & Sword also.