Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

SAPPER HUGH EVANS

megans grandad

The following is known :- A member of the Royal Engineers attached to HQ 61st Brigade, service number 71056.

He died 22.11.18 aged 29 at Salonika and he has two memorials :- Mikra British Cemetery Kalamaria 905. There is also a memorial cross http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2689651

He was the son of Margaret Evans of Islwyn, Glan Conwy Denbighshire and the late Edward Evans.

Can anyone throw any further light on this lad?

Also served with Royal Garrison Artillery (T) service number 436.

Awarded Territorial Force War Medal

From his number I believe he was a signaller. Do you know if he worked for the GPO before the war?

TR

MG

There doesn't seem to be an entry in Soldiers Died in the Great War,but I have seen the CWGC entry,as I think you have,and it says attd 61 Brigade RGA which was under GHQ control.

A Medal Index Card for Hugh shows he was initially number 436 in the Royal Garrison Artillery (T) and then number 71056 with the RE. He went to war after 1915 ( he has no entitlement to the 1914-15 Star) and was also entitled to the Territorial Force Medal.

You may get to see what happened on 22 Nov 1918 from the unit War Diary for 61 Bde RGA,which is at Kew under WO95/4796 (May 1918 to Mar 1919) but not digital as yet. It may be that he wasn't with the unit at the time,particularly if he was sick and died away from the unit. I will see if |I can look at it next week and let you know if there is anything on him.

Thanks to you all for the responses to date, including Ellis1918 for the information.

In answer to Terry_Reeves we have no idea at all. This is part of the fascinating thing we are trying to piece together.

To Sotonmate - look forward to possibly hearing from you about unit War Diary for 61 Bde RGA i.d.c.

mg

I have some pages from 61 Bde RGA War Diary for the period Sep to Nov 1918 for your interest,and await your e-mail by PM here.

With an address at Glan Conwy, a low TF RGA number and a TFWar Medal it's possible he belonged pre-war to the 1st Welsh (Carnarvon) RGA (TF). They were based in Bangor and had their Ammunition Column in Llandudno. No other RGA (TF) unit in North Wales. I've let member Hywyn know as this is a particular interest of his - he's away this week but I'm sure he'll join the thread afterwards.

Clive