Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

RE: East Dereham's Great War Talks

Kitty55

Hi All,

don't know if it's alright to post this but I'm just a housewife trying to cover costs of my research and so

If it is of any interest .....

I've got a display in Dereham Library - free to see - it's called Norfolk Narratives and features Dereham soldiers' letters home from the front and reports given to the papers by soldiers that were invalided home. If you live locally it might be of interest to you and is there until May 17th.

From August this year there will be another one of mine called the Dereham's Great War Timeline which will feature activities in Dereham compared with what was happening on the front line and soldiers from town that fought in them. Masses of photos etc. That too is free to view during Dereham Library opening times.

Shows this year in Dereham Library by me have been - Dereham during the Great War - part 1 & 2 - sorry they were in January and March before I knew this site existed.

But still to come..........

all costing just £3 which includes refreshments. Doors open as 7.10pm with all shows beginning at 7.30pm, after which the doors will close till the end of show - due to youths coming in thinking the library is open as usual.

Wednesday, September 24th - Dereham's Zeppelin Raid.

Wednesday, October 22nd - A Petrol Head's Dream - all about motors, garages, banger racing, motor polo, etc in Dereham, not the war for a change!

Wednesday, November 26th - Dereham's Wartime Celebrations and Memorials (history of our 4 war memorials)

All shows last one and half hours so you'll get your monies worth.

thanks and take care, Kitty

photo below shows 5th Batt. Norfolk Regiment massing on 5th August 1914 in Dereham Market Place - just one of over 200 I have on Dereham during the Great War which doesn't include all the soldier ones I've collected.

post-109809-0-56898200-1398995632_thumb.

Good to see someone in Dereham doing something like this, I will certainly try and get to a couple of the mentioned shows sounds very interesting, have a friend who im sure would also be interested. Would love to have a browse of your Dereham photos at some point, I live in Toftwood .

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

You're welcome anytime Tim but make sure you allow a few hours as there's lots of them to look through - almost 50,000 photos and 3,000 post cards. There's no rush we've lived here for almost 30 years and the house, out buildings & gardens took us 9 years to build/sort out. I don't plan on going anywhere else for a while yet - God/universe willing.

Hi Kitty,

I noticed this topic and wondered if you have ever come across Captain John Edward Hill who died on 24th March,1918 from wounds received in action on 21st March,1918. Age 22. He was the son of Edward Robert and Lilian Edith Hill of East Dereham, Norfolk, and was educated at Wellingborough College, Northamptonshire.

He had previously been badly wounded at the Battle of Loos on 26th September,1915. Following a long convalescence he rejoined his battalion in August,1916, and was posted as 'wounded and missing' following the opening day of the German Spring Offensive. He was later reported to have died from his wounds on the 24th March, whilst a POW.

Not certain if this is of any interest?

Regards,

Robert

Hi

Thanks Old Owl - Yes I have but have no photo of him just one of his gravestone.

I've got the above info thanks and also an article from the papers about it along with another dated 17th October 1914 when he was granted a commission of Second Lieutenant in the 9th Norfolk Service Battalion whilst he was training at Shoreham.

Hi

Thanks Old Owl - Yes I have but have no photo of him just one of his gravestone.

I've got the above info thanks and also an article from the papers about it along with another dated 17th October 1914 when he was granted a commission of Second Lieutenant in the 9th Norfolk Service Battalion whilst he was training at Shoreham.

Hi Kitty,

I have a couple of photos of him in uniform and of course his 1914/15 Star Trio in a bronze frame with the Norfolk Regt Badge at the top. If you PM me an email address then I can send you some photos, if these are of interest for your display? Many years ago I visited the church at Dereham and I believe that there was some sort of an inscription over the porch to his memory--unfortunately my camera in those days was not good enough to capture a suitable image--are you aware of this inscription?

Regards,

Robert

Hi Robert

Feeling a little (a huge amount) thick here as I don't know what PM means or how to give you my email. Can you lead me through it? - if it was design work then I'd know.

I can't even find how to get help using this site, it seems so different to eBay, Amazon etc which quite honestly are really the only sites I use except for emails via the normal routes.

All the computer skills I have I've had to learn myself or via books - mainly publisher, adobe photoshop/indesign, powerpoint shows and Prodex Producer 4.

I even keep my 7TG of Dereham's history on a specially built computer which is never connected to the internet as the information is to valuable - several people tried to get into it even though it was guarded by Bulldog and Norton.

thanks and take care, Kitty.

Hi Old Owl

Think I've sent you a message with my email in it - hope I got it right.

thanks and take care, Kitty.

Hi Kitty,

Apologies, I have only just seen your replies. I realise that I should have pointed out what a PM was--but fortunately you worked it out yourself.

I shall send you the photos over shortly.

Regards, Robert

Thanks ever so much another soldier of mine now finished - well I think so?

Kitty

Thanks ever so much another soldier of mine now finished - well I think so?

Kitty

You are most welcome. I have just sent you a copy of a more comprehensive obituary for him, via email.

Robert

You're welcome anytime Tim but make sure you allow a few hours as there's lots of them to look through - almost 50,000 photos and 3,000 post cards. There's no rush we've lived here for almost 30 years and the house, out buildings & gardens took us 9 years to build/sort out. I don't plan on going anywhere else for a while yet - God/universe willing.

Yes will have to sort it out sometime soon will look forward to it. I am doing a small display myself of a few bits and pieces I have its at Yaxham Village hall on the 22nd June, its my first venture in to such a thing, I am joining a friend who is a bit of an old hand at it and has done many before, I thought it would be a good time to do one being it is a special year,i will try to concentrate mainly on first world war items.

As it's just down the road from me I'm be along to have a look - what is it for? - I've got the Yaxham monthly newsletter but there's nothing about it in there - curious?

The date I have been given is Sunday the 22nd June (I hope I have the right date) the event I have been told is a vintage day, I believe they have them every year, I am just going on what I have been told by my friend who has asked me to join him.

Tim

PS if there is anything in the yaxham monthly magazine about the event can you let me know what it says.Im curious myself now hope Ive been given the right info.

Oh it's the 'vintage day' - I'll be there with my mini copper and hubby with his old comer lorry - I'll bring my collection of war post cards with me as well as the Yaxham ones they asked me to - hadn't put the date and event together in my brain - guess I'm trying to do too many things at once at present.

I'll probably bring one of my laptops as well so I can get some more work done and/or do searches for people - the same as last year and every other one they've had - it's usually a family day out for us, grandchildren etc. - that is if I'm well enough on the day, got a few health problems/hospital/doctors etc. at present unfortunately.

Phew I told a few people it was the 22nd. Yes would be good to see the postcards if you can make it. So will leave it at seeing you at Yaxham on the 22nd.

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Tim

Not bringing my actual post cards - just had all 3,000 plus valued - over £35,000 - can't believe it - they are never leaving the house again! unless it's to the bank vault.

I've done a kiosk show of them all for the Vintage Day at Yaxham, British Legion Event the end of June, Whinburgh Festival in July and they will be in the GReat War Timeline Display in Dereham Library during August & September this year. - so you and others will be able to see them anyway.

Or alternatively you are still welcome to come and look at the originals round mine.

Hopefully I'll see you at Yaxham.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tim

Not bringing my actual post cards - just had all 3,000 plus valued - over £35,000 - can't believe it - they are never leaving the house again! unless it's to the bank vault.

I've done a kiosk show of them all for the Vintage Day at Yaxham, British Legion Event the end of June, Whinburgh Festival in July and they will be in the GReat War Timeline Display in Dereham Library during August & September this year. - so you and others will be able to see them anyway.

Or alternatively you are still welcome to come and look at the originals round mine.

Hopefully I'll see you at Yaxham.

Look forward to meeting you and having a good look at what you are bringing along.

Hi Tim

Looking forward to meeting you - if you see a Comer lorry or a purple mini cooper then you'll know we've arrived. I'll probably be somewhere in the hall but the people running it this year are different to last year so I've no idea where they'll be putting me if anywhere.

Anyhow I've got Whinburgh Festival's rehearsal tomorrow first.

• 2 months later...

Hi All

I've got this else where so please check out the calender for more information on the talk including a very quick quiz on the subject - how much do you actually know?

post-109809-0-86883700-1410218824_thumb.

• 10 months later...

Captain John Robert Hill was my Uncle. My mother was born in Quebec Road and Edward and Lilian Hill were my grandparents. Captain Hill was known as Jack in the family and he was my mothers half brother as my Grandfathers first wife died. Captain Hill is commemorated in the porch of the parish church where my grandfather was the church warden. Edward Hill was the manager of the Maltings. I have one photograph of John Hill who died when my mother was about two years old, although she always said that she could remember him.

• 1 year later...

Hi SEH

Just got back on this site since - well a long time - is it really over a year since I was here?  Whoops - Yep it is! Wow true what Nan used to say - time ticks quicker when you get older.

If you have more on 'Jack' Hill aswell as his photo I'd be very interested as I've almost finished the section he's in. Full credit is given to anyone who contributes anything to my book.

Guess I've been trying to write my book and have ignored sites such as this until now. So Sorry!

I wouldn't blame you if you don't reply but I hope you do as now I'm also collecting information on the Breweries in town ready for my next book - The Inebriated Heaven of Dereham, which tells the stories of the pubs, breweries and maltings in town.

Edited by Kitty55