Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Nitshill War Memorial Glasgow

Weejanie1

Hi All

I was hoping for some advice. I have been helping to try and trace names on the

Local War Memorial, there are fives names I have been struggling with. I have

Tried the CWGC, ancestry and Scotlands People. The difficulty is trying to connect

These soldiers with the area. There are also Great War casualties that appear on

Ancestry but not on the CWGC. If anyone could give me some hints I would be

Most grateful.

Jane x

Hi Jane. Feel free to post the names you're struggling with, I'm sure there will be many here who can help. Could be any number of reasons, for example, wrong spelling on the Memorial, wrong Regiment. Some men may only have worked in the area, or enlisted there, and it can be quite difficult to establish the local link. Period newspapers are very useful.

Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks for that. I will maybe try the Mitchell library. The names are

James McWiiliam, James McKean, Alexander Jarvis, George Taylor

And John Ward. I wondered if they were on the Memorial if they were

Born in the area so I thought perhaps local Churches. Do you think

That would help?

Regards

Jane x

There's an H McWilliam from Nitshill, could the J be an error?

McMcWILLIAM, HAMISH

Lieutenant
Date of Death:
29/05/1916
Regiment/Service:
Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)

2nd Bn. attd. 9th Bn.
Grave Reference
IV. C. 29.
Cemetery
VERMELLES BRITISH CEMETERY

Additional Information:

Son of Alexander and Elsie McWilliam, of Levernholme, Nitshill, Glasgow.

Will have more time to have a look later.

Also, have a play about with various spellings on the wonderful resource

Geoff's Engine

Mike

Thanks so much, I have noticed there can also be spelling mistakes on ancestry.

You have been a great help.

Just a thought do you think alexander jarvis might be jarvie. Will keep looking.

Thanks again Mike

Regards

Jane x

I have noticed there can also be spelling mistakes on ancestry.

Jane

Indeed there can, in fact, they occasionally spell things correctly.

Mike

One or two points:

• The Glasgow City Roll of Honour for 1914-1918 is downloadable. I don't have the address to hand but it should come up if you google it.
  • The Mitchell Library among other things has a book of casualties whose death notices appeared in either the Herald or the evening paper or both(I think?). (It obviously won't include everyone, since many people did not put in a death notice - nut it is still worth a look.
  • Not all CWGC entries name relatives. Also the addresses given will be the post war addresses of relatives. It is worth looking at the 1911 census (for a small village, even the 1901) and seeing if any of the names of the appropriate age match up and seeing if you can discover anything from that.
  • War memorials sometimes list people who died after 1919, even after 1920 as a result of the war. You might have a look at local deaths for the years immediately after the war to see if any are there.
  • It is always worth looking at the 1914-1919 issues of the local newspapers - but this can be very time consuming.

R

Jane

I have had a quick look through the Glasgow Roll of Honour and could not identify any of the names. Something else to consider : although Nitshill is within the Glasgow city boundaries today, it may not have been during the Great War and may have only been absorbed into Glasgow sometime later in the 20th. Century.

Douglas

There was a story in the press the other day about a Soldier who's address was given as Govan by Paisley ,i take it in 1915 Govan was outside the Glasgow City Boundary.So Nitshill might well have been the same.

According to wiki

Nitshill (Scots: Nitshull, Scottish Gaelic: Cnoc nan Cnòthan)[1] is a district on the south side of Glasgow. It is north of South Nitshill, south of Crookston, and southwest of Silverburn and Pollok. Nitshill was originally a coal mining village. The Nitshill Colliery was the scene of one of Scotland's worst mining disasters—on March 15, 1851 in which 61 men and boys died.

The village fell within the county of Renfrewshire until about the 1920s, when it was incorporated into the City of Glasgow. The change in local government were mainly related to education and community services such as roads, water, sewerage and housing.

Mike

Thanks Guys

I think that is my George Taylor right enough. It had crossed my mind that

Some of these men may have emigrated. Thankyou very much for that.

Nitshill was indeed a coal mining village and I believe did come under

Renfrewshire. It is possible that these men may have come from the

Areas around Nitshill.

There is another memorial alongside the War Memorial dedicated to the men

And boys who died in the mining disaster. I think it was called the Victoria mine.

I cant thank you all enough I was really struggling with this.

Regards

Jane x

Might be worth having a look for clues through the service papers of John McWilliams (note the "s") of Hurlet Row, Nitshill, and Joseph McKean of Victoria Rd, Nitshill.

Thanks IPT I am going through the census records at the moment and I Think Mike may be right that James and Hamish Mcwilliam are one and the same . I had a look at the service records for John and Joseph and also a possibility. Will keep trying.

The help I have been given so far is very much appreciated.

Thanks again

Jane x

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I cant thankyou enough for your help. Sorry for the delay in getting back to

You problems with the ipad.

A newspaper article and a photograph so much more than i expected.

Kind regards

Jane.x

• 2 weeks later...

Thankyou for all the help I have received with this project but I was hoping to get a wee

bit more. I am almost there only two more to get.

Two John Wards from Barrhead and Levern district Father and son on the 1911 census. I am sure it is one of them

on the Memorial but I can't find for definite which one it is any ideas would be appreciated. Would also be grateful

for any help I could get for Alexander Jarvis. Just have not been able to find a link.

Regards

Jane