Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

ALBERT CHAPMAN DCM

bobpike

Radwinter in Essex notes in the October 1917 parish magazine ‘…..that Albert Chapman…..one of four brothers…has been awarded the DCM for bravery in the field.’ But who is he?

The DCM medal roll lists two A Chapmans

13699 Cpl. A Chapman, Norfolk and

2258 L/Sgt A H R Chapman East Kents.

Neither seem to have any connection with Radwinter, can anyone help, please?
Bob

you could check the MIC to get first names of them

and if newspapers are frequently wrong then so might this article be

Thank you, will check MIC when I can access my Ancestry account,

Bob

A. Chapman 13699 Norfolk Regt. was Albert Edward Chapman. His MIC states that a Mrs. Buch applied for the medals of the late Albert Edward Chapman and a correspondence adress of 3a? Bridge St., King's Lynn, Norfolk was given. When he died is unknown; there is nothing to indicate when on the MIC. He does not appear on C.W.G.C. database.

A. H. R. Chapman 2258 East Kent Regt. was Arthur Henry Richard Chapman. He died in the Great War and is on C.W.G.C. database.

Albert Chapman DCM Cpl 13699 8th battn Norfolk Regiment appears on CWGC and his medal index card is on Ancestry.

Date of death 26 Sep 1916. Commemorated on Thiepval Memorial.

Awarded BWM , Victory & 1915 Star

Landed in France 12 Aug 1915.

Born Kings Lynn enlisted Norwich

Doubtful that he is your man.

Chapman family of Radwinter , Essex -

Parents James b 1858 , Mary b 1856.

4 sons - Herbert b 1886 Essex reg 7177 & Military Foot Police P/5916 , Walter b 1889 1st battn Suffolk Reg , Albert b 1892 , Edward b 1895.

Fits the description given

There is also an Albert Chapman, son of Harry and Mary, born at Radwinter in 1887 and in 1911 was working as a "soldier, general servant, Royal Field Artillery" at the house of Major George Glas Sandeman Carey at Hathersage near Sheffield.

There are quite a few Albert Chapmans with MICs for the Royal Field Artillery and none of the ones I have looked at mention a DCM (although there is one for a Meritorious Service Medal).

It might be worth having a closer look at this man - although I should point out that Albert, son of Harry and Mary, had four brothers in the 1901 census and was therefore one of five.

SDGW gives Albert Chapman, Norfolk Regiment, as born in Kings Lynn, and enlisted at Norwich.

Albert Edward Chapman, born Q3/1894 at Kings Lynn.

The marriage of James Robert Burch and Elizabeth Chapman took place also in Q3/1894, Kings Lynn.

In the 1911 census, he was working as a farm labourer at Methwold, near Downham Market, Norfolk.

Go back 20 years, and Elizabeth Chapman is working as a domestic servant at Wiggenhall, near Kings Lynn.

Andrewr

Thank you for all your help, but the elusive link escapes me still, I will press on with some of these leads, I'm most grateful,

Bob

Bob,

It may be shoddy journalism. The name Albert Chapman appeared in the lists of those receiving the honour, and someone said "We've got an Albert Chapman living in Radwinter. It must be him."

Just a thought.

Andrewr