Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lt Col Melrose Thomas Chapman DSO medal card

jbharrop

which part ? There a lot going on there

Well I guessing that there is quite a story behind it but I haven't the foggiest as to how to decipher it all. My ultimate aim is to figure out why he was awarded a DSO on the Somme. The V.C. and D.S.O. publications and Gazettes have not thrown up a 'why', just saying that he was awarded. I am hoping that the medal card will maybe give his unit details for which I can obtain the relevant war diary which may make statement.

• 1 year later...

Hi

Just come across your post - better late than never!

Don't know if your still interested in Melrose Thomas Chapman, but I have just been researching his story as he was a Lieutenant and Adjutant in 46th Divisional Train. He has a long and varied career starting as a gunner in the Royal Field Artillery, before being commissioned in October 1913. After the war, he held various staff appointments before transferring to the Indian Army in 1928. He finally retired as a Lieutenant Colonel on 11th July 1940.

His DSO appears to have been a Birthday's Honour made in June 1918 and I haven't found a citation for it. He was also twice Mentioned in Dispatches during the war.

If you want a more detailed breakdown of his career, feel free to PM me.

Regards

John Beech