Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ALBERT CAKEBREAD

bobpike

Mike,

I am so grateful for all your efforts, not to mention all the others, I will try and see what pictures there may be. Clavering is a lovely village, cricket green, ancient church and the pub owned by Jamie Oliver's parents, The Cricketers. It is hard to imagine leaving such an idyllic place to lay down one's life in a foreign field....

If I can help with any grave photos etc, please ask I have a vast collection from all battle arenas, especially Gallipoli, and I spend most of the year on the Somme so can take anything you might want in F&F,

kind regards,

Bob

Hi Bob,

This forum is truly a great place. Lots of people here have helped me with my research project into our local memorial at Barrow Hill in Derbyshire and it is nice to return the favour where I can. It has been a great pleasure to assist with this, and if you think I can help with anything else, please do not hestitate to get in touch.

Warmest regards,

Mike

CAKEBREAD, G Rank: Private Service No: 12438 Date of Death: 15/07/1916 Age: 23 Regiment/Service: Bedfordshire Regiment 6th Bn. Grave Reference III. D. 15. Cemetery POZIERES BRITISH CEMETERY, OVILLERS-LA BOISSELLE Additional Information:

Son of Elias and Emily M. Cakebread, of London Road, Newport, Essex. Native of Quendon.

post-5048-0-04118700-1399473209_thumb.jp

Hiya,

That is a cracking picture. Was he the son of a brother to our "Alfred the elder"?

I have taken the liberty of trying to sharpen the image up a bit, I hope you approve.

Warmest regards,

Mike

post-100829-0-09791000-1399476930_thumb.

Levi and Albert shared an address in 1910.1911 and 1912

Levi seems to have been living in Kentish Town / Camden Town since 1908. Alfred was living in same area with his wife in 1911.Abel was living same area 1919

Albert was discharged from the army in 1910 during which he served in South Africa. It seems that on discharge he went to live withLevi.

If someone could give Levi's occupation it might give an idea why he went to Kentish Town and why his brother decided to join him.

It also seems they and a child named Reginald, son of Abel and Annie remained in N. London. There are records for Annie in 1935,

I hope I got it right!!

Hi,

Levi is described as a Brewery Cellerman on the 1911 census. It seems several of them had brewery connections - see my earlier post. That picture of George with horse and leather apron makes me think brewers drayman but that idea may well be tosh!

My burning question is if Albert did rejoin for the war and if that really is his medal index card that I found. No service record in evidence for that theoretical "second stint" though so I can't prove anything. It being the only MIC for an Albert Cakebread without a middle name or initial AND the service being with his old unit seems like it might be more than coincidence.

Cheers,

Mike

I got the info, which seems the same as yours from the Electoral Rolls for St. Pancras.

We have 2 brothers, Albert and Levi living together from the time of Alberts discharge until 1912.

I wonder if albert went back to Essex?

Albert would have been about 35yrs in 1914/15 so may not have enlisted or been called up?

Cakebread does not seem a common name but there are loads of them living in Kentish Town/ Camden Town.!

I tried looking for breweries in the area at the time but came up with none.

The biggest one was probably Trumans in the east end. If I get time I will check it out.

There were certainly many men older than Albert who did join up again for the war - I think the initial call for volunteers had an upper age limit of 41. I have just been researching an Engineer killed at Gallipoli who had the medal for the Boxer rebellion and who would have been 39/40 when he died. Looking at his service record it would also seem that he was in better physical shape when he re-enlisted than I have ever been! This is one of those rare occasions when a group of 4 medals attached to a pin bar on their original ribbons could actually resolve the issue rather than be my more usual starting point!

On the subject of medals, Alberts QSA is listed on his service record as being issued with 2 bars, but frustratingly it does not say which ones. Still, that info will be on the rolls. I wonder if there is a Boer War Forum somewhere ? :-)

Cheers,

Mike

There was a Highbury Brewery.

On the subject of medals, Alberts QSA is listed on his service record as being issued with 2 bars, but frustratingly it does not say which ones. Still, that info will be on the rolls.

T/13908 A. Cakebread, QSA with clasps Cape Colony & Orange Free State. Issued on 55th Company ASC QSA Roll, NA ref: WO100/214 (and available on Ancestry).

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that - and blow me, I did'nt know the QSA roll was on Ancestry!! - methinks It will be getting a lot of hits sometime soon.

Cheers,

Mike

I think this is Possibly Alfred:

From The Newsman 26 April 1890

post-13992-0-57812300-1399546277_thumb.j

Albert would have been about 10yrs old.

• 1 month later...
Guest CCake79

I came across this forum searching online for Elias Cakebread. I'm tracing my husband's family tree.

Albert Cakebread (b.1880) was the son of Alfred Cakebread and Louisa Barker. From 1901 - Army Service Corps Cleaning Area, South of Canal, Stanhope Lines (Aldershot, Hants). Driver ASC. 21 years old. I don't have anything about him after he's listed in 1911 as living with one of his brothers, Levi.

Elias Cakebread and his wife, Emily Maria (nee Smith), had 7 children including George - it's amazing to see a picture of him, where is it from???

George and Albert were half cousins. Their grandfather, Daniel Cakebread married twice: firstly to Charlotte Rumball (George's grandmother) and secondly to Emma Player (Albert's grandmother). My husband is descended from Albert's older brother Frederick.

You'd think Cakebread would be a rare name and easy to trace, but there's absolutely loads of them! Quite a number seem to have brushes with the law too!

• 1 month later...

Hi my name is Andrew Cakebread and a descendant of the Clavering Cakebreads. The original enquiry came from a Cakebread- I would like to contact them and link them to my website / research . I think I may have the answers you have been looking for . If anyone has any additional info please share with me. Thank you

Can you give 'the answers' to the members of the forum who have spent time trying to help the OP.

Hi Andrew,

Welcome to the forum

I was just about to ask the same question as johnboy!

You may want to use the facility this site has to PM bobpike, just in case the revival of this thread has not attracted his attention.

Warmest regards,

Mike

Andrew,

I would suggest that you read the full thread before PMing me for info.

• 6 years later...
On 30/04/2014 at 21:11, hillgorilla said:

CAKEBREAD, A Rank: Rifleman Service No: S/24299 Date of Death: 02/08/1917 Regiment/Service: Rifle Brigade 2nd Bn. Grave Reference I. B. 16. Cemetery THE HUTS CEMETERY

On 04/05/2014 at 11:34, Medaler said:

I've just found Alfred's Service record on Ancestry - address of widow - Mrs K. Cakebread, 1, Harwood Street, Chalk Farm. N.W.1

On 04/05/2014 at 11:51, Medaler said:

found that Kate's maiden name was Newman

The children were :-

Eric A. G. Cakebread - birth registered in September 1/4 of 1911 - 1b/175

Kate Cakebread - birth registered in December 1/4 of 1914 - 1b/55

Rfn. Alfred CAKEBREAD, S/24299, Rifle Brigade

A WFA/Fold3 Pension Index Card has his widow, Kate (b.4.1.83), Eric Alfred G (29.7.11) and Kate (b.13.12.14) with addresses of 1 Harwood St, St. Pancras and [seemingly later]  West Field, Tilney St Lawrence, nr. King's Lynn, Norfolk - awarded 22/6 pw from 11.2.18

:-) M

• 2 weeks later...

A. Cakebread appears on the village WW1 memorial of Bramley near Rotherham in South Yorkshire. As part of the 1918 centenary celebrations I assisted in researching the names for the Parish Council.

My paper notes were left with the committee and alas I did not retain a copy.  I seem to recall that he appeared on the 1911 census in Bramley , worked in either a local quarry or colliery and a child was born locally. His place of birth was somewhere down south.

I know this is rather vague but may assist .   Google Bramley Parish Council.