Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Air Raid on Harwich

healdav

I am just skimming through (it is so awful that I can't bear to read it properly), "British Secret Service During the Great War". In it the author says, in a rant about bureaucracy, that during an air raid on Harwich a ship in harbour fired on a Zeppelin.

The Naval Officer was then court martialled as this was an army responsibility. It strikes me as being ridiculous, but has anyone, by chance any further information!

Hello Healdav

I live in Harwich, and have the report on that attack somewhere in the house. Don't remember the Court Martialled bit, bit give me a few days and I'll try to find out.

Ray

Hello Healdav

I live in Harwich, and have the report on that attack somewhere in the house. Don't remember the Court Martialled bit, bit give me a few days and I'll try to find out.

Ray

With bated breath!

If the Zeppelin raid occurred in 1914/early 1915 then the Yeomanry diaries and published histories (2nd Mtd Div) would have recorded the event - they were defending the coats at the time.... It won't shed any light on the alleged RN response and alleged court martial.

• 3 months later...

Slightly conected to this thread - does anyone have a detailed report of the raid by Zeppelin L.10 on Harwich that took place on 12/13 August 1915. By detailed I mean names of roads/places where the bombs dropped and where injuries occured.

Many thanks for any help.