Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Major Lindsay Alfred Barrett M.C

John Beech

Afternoon All

The above named officer was a pre-war regular who went to France in 1914 with 1st Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers. After Captain W. Herbert was wounded in November 1914, he became Adjutant and transferred in this capacity to 6th Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers in May 1915, with the rank of Temporary Captain in the Territorial Force whilst so employed. He was appointed Temporary Captain 1st September 1915.

He was promoted again to Temporary Major whilst commanding a Territorial Force Unit on 21st January 1916 and took command of 1st/4th Battalion Yorkshire Regiment. He was Killed in Action 17th March 1916, age 23 and was buried in Poperinghe New Military Cemetery.

it may be me, or the new LG format, but I cannot find a citation for his Military Cross awarded at the beginning of 1916, can anyone help?

Regards

John

Looks like a New Year's Honours List award, no citation.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29438/supplement/576

Looks like he got a Mention in Despatches too.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29422/supplement/33

The London Gazette has been ruined by the so-called improvements. I have told them so. As it is under Her Majesty's Staionery Office I also intend to have a go at my M.P. about it, not that it will do any good. I think the people employed to design these sites have never done any online research. Watch their video on how to search the gazette - it is absurd.

Hi Harry

Thanks for the reply - it was obviously me!! Must agree with your comments though, I have persevered with it but it certainly not an improvement on the old version

Regards

John

• 2 weeks later...

Museumtom

Many thanks for the photo. I am off to Mons in June but will be stopping off at Poperinghe to pay my respects

Regards

John

Not a bother.