Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembering 3 Tunnellers

Tunneller

99 years ago today, 3 Tamworth men won the DCM attempting to rescue their Sergeant, Thomas Harper, a Boer war veteran and Miner from Pooley Colliery in the North Warwickshire Coalfield following gassing after the exploding of a German camouflet in the gallery in which they were working. Sjt Harper subsequently died and is buried in Kemmel. All men, miners, were attached to 172 Tunnelling Company and were mining near to Peckham.

Albert Thomas Weston DCM was killed in action on 1st July 1916 at Gommecourt , and is remembered on the Thiepval memorial to the missing

R HILL Pte 1301 1/6 th Battalion North Staffordshire Regt, A T WESTON Pte 2283 1/6th Battalion North Staffordshire Regiment A STORER Pte 1826 1/6 th North Staffordshire Regt

Attached 172 Tunnelling company

LONDON GAZETTE 30th JUNE 1915

For conspicuous courage and devotion to duty on 28th April 1915, near Kemmel, when he took his turn with a few other men in entering a mine gallery to rescue comrades who had been overcome by gas. The rescuing party persevered till all had been saved.

God bless

Jim

War is horrific but I cannot imagine the terror of being underground when mines go off - I join you in remembering the brave men above.

Maricourt