Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Trying to find the PoW camp near Kaltennordheim

themonsstar

I have some PoW postcards, the only name on the back of some of them is Erwin Wuchert,Kaltennordheim, Rhon. So I'm trying to find the PoW camp or work camp around this area.

Cheers for any help.

Roy

Roy

I think it more likely that the cards were addressed to Erwin Wuchert, living in Thuringia, rather than sent from there. Can you supply a scan of both sides of one of the cards by any chance?

Jack

The stamp is taken as the photographer's premises in Kaltennordheim,in or near the Rhon Mountains in the State of Thuringia. There were two POW camps there,one in Langensalza and one in Ohrdruf.

Erwin may have served those places,or seen a good thing and travelled widely to meet the needs of the incarcerated.

I have checked and Wuchert was the name of the owner of a Kunstverlag or Kunstanstalt in the town (art publisher). It would appear that providing photographic services was one of the strings to its bow. So presumably the postcards were made from photographs taken of the PW. One of the cards actually states that it was a souvenir of captivity at Fischbach - where there was a PW camp.

Jack

• 2 months later...

Thank you for sharing the images. My granddad was captured by a Thuringian regiment so I was very interested to see them. There is an old French postal directory online at the archive.org site if you want to try to trace the address in France - let me know if you want me to post a link.