Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th battalion Coldstream Guards

Coldstreamer

Hello

now got the diary for the 4th - not catalogued so if you would like a look-up I need a date to work with please

cheers

• 6 months later...

Hello

now got the diary for the 4th - not catalogued so if you would like a look-up I need a date to work with please

cheers

Hi would love to know more information about my grandad William Chalk private 16330. He died on 3/8/1917 and is buried at Bleuet Farm cemetery. He was in the 4th battalion hope you can help and thanks in advance Linda

• 1 month later...

hello

sorry missed this

I used to have one of his medals - still got a copy though of his service papers

briefly though

Victory Medal

Entitled British War Medal

William Chalk was Killed in Action on the 3rd August 1917 with the 2nd Company, 4th Battalion. He is buried at Bleuet Farm Cemetery, Elverdinghe, Ieper, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium, plot I.E.25

The war diary shows that the 2nd Co. worked from 8am to 4pm on the approaches to Boesinghe and Crapouillots pontoons.

He was born in Dunmow, Essex and lived in Loughton, enlisting in Epping

Linda send me a PM with your email address

Thank you so much for sending my grandads service papers via email. It is amazing to look at them and read about him and my nan and even a mention of my mum Kathleen Edith. I am very grateful and proud. Thank you once again Linda

my pleasure

his death is noted in the war diary - the 4th btn adjutant was very good at recording ORs - copy on the way

Hi Coldstreamer

I am still accumulating info on Arthur Thompson, a Hull Police Constable who came from our village of Scawby near Brigg, Lincs.

Anything from the 4/CS WD from the period 15/02/1915 to 31/07/1917 when he was released for officer training, when he entered the theatre of war for the first time.

Pleased to say that his trio and his brothers (KIA 25/09/1915 8/Lincs) medals are in my collection, along with both Death Plaques.

Any further info on his time with 4(Pioneer)/CG would be most appreciated.

Rick.

No.16076 Pte. Arthur Thompson,

• Attested 01/05/1915
  • To 7th Entrenching Bn. 3rd Army
  • Joined battalion in field 08/04/1916 No.2 Coy.
  • Appointed L/Cpl 09/06/1916
  • To England for commission 03/07/1916
  • Posted to 5®Bn 05/02/1917
  • Discharged 31/07/1917 to commission
  • LF 01/09/1917, appointed Temporary 2nd Lt 01/08/1917
  • Commissioned with 24-27/NF 31/08/1917
  • KIA 23/10/1917

Hi,

4th (Pioneer) CG were created July 1915 - until then 4th CG were the Reserve Battalion that was renumbered to 5th Reserve July 1915.

Consequently from the dates in your post the relevant 4th CG WD dates for your man are April 1916 to July 1916 when you say he was posted to UK for a commission. He was posted 5th Reserve Battalion CG at Windsor Feb 1917.

My gf posted to 4th CG 31st May 1916 on recovery from wounds sustained Nov 1914. His papers show he was part of 7th reinforcement draft to 4th CG. Joined Battalion in mid 1916.

Regards

Steve Y

PS

Spookily the CO 4th CG 1915/17 was "Bingo" Pakenham!

cant see him sorry

Ok, Cheers Coldstreamer :thumbsup:

Steve,

I see now about the renumbering of the 4 or 5/CG and your interest. Nice one.

'Bingo' Pakenham.......yes, some coincidence. It is a nickname which has stuck with me since army days, I use it now only as a name on the one or two forum I frequent. :blush:

Just going through his papers, I have seen his Statement of Services. Found further detail

It seems he joined 4/CG at Caterham 03/05/1915, two days after attestation. Posted to the 5/CG 12/08/1915, posted again to the 4(P)/CG 15/12/1915. Appointed L/Cpl 09/06/1916 and posted the 5/CG 05/02/1917. Discharged to commission 31/07/1917.

He joined the 11th Officer Cadet Bn at Pirbright.

Rick

• 1 month later...

Hi Coldstreamer

Not sure if you'll be able to help me, my Great Grandfather Dennis Brown was in the ColdStream Guards 4Bn service number 13969. He enlisted in Hull.

He was not the best behaved soldier, his conduct records leaves a lot to be desired (bless him) and he was wounded a lot (he did survive the war though).

I was wondering where this regiment would have been on 20/9/16 - when he is reported to have GSW to the face and legs and then again on 28/7/17 he is reported to have shrapnel wounds.

Many thanks in advance for your help, if you require any additional info please don't hesitate to let me know.

Sarah

not mentioned on the 20th (I have a medal to a man wounded that day) - def 4th btn?

or the 28.7.17 ?

1917 he was 2nd Btn

he was wounded 15.9.16

and again 12th July 1917

I think you have misunderstood his papers - date of transfer isnt date wounded

confirmed he was on the roll for wounded 15.9.16 in no 3 coy- Guards battle of the Somme - les Boeufs

A scarce casualty for a day when thousands killed and wounded - 4th got of lightly - 5 men killed that day - 20-30 wounded

2nd btn - 12th July 1917 - in reserve at Cardoen Farm - fatigues in forward area - 6 wounded - wounds consistent if he was hit by shelling

Sarah,

There is a good account of the activities of Number 3 Company, 4th CG at on 16th September 1916 in the vicinity of Ginchy in the memoirs of Captain C P Blacker entitled "Have You Forgotten Yet" - edited by his son John Blacker and published by Pen & Sword in 2000.

Blacker served with No 3 Co and was awarded MC for his actions that day.

Regards

Steve Y

PS.

I believe my gf was also in No 3 Company 4th CG.

Dear Colstreamer

Thank you so much for all the info and your tenancity in finding him when I misunderstood the info I had - unfortunately I'm still struggling with their handwriting style of the day!

Dear tullybrone

Thank you for the recommendation, it's certainly something I'll look into getting.

Blackers is an excellent book

Re BROWN According to a roll of the time he was invalided out of the 4th Btn on the 18th September

• 6 months later...

My great uncle was 2/Lt in No. 2 Co at Loos, survived initial legendary attack on Hill 70 and was shot nr Vermelles Water Tower on 30th whilst repairing the trenches & wire with his men after Guards had been relieved. If anyone has any diaries of No. 2 Company or pictures I'd be very grateful if you could contact me.

Nulli secundus.

2/Lt WF Hoblyn D O W 1/10/1915

Best!

Richard.

info@hoblyn.com

I will send you an email