Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Gallipoli Sunday in Bury 2014

Mark Hone

Just to report that the 98th annual Gallipoli Sunday service at Bury Parish Church and parade through the town centre went off very well, as always. The weather was kind. Unfortunately I neglected to take my camera along so can't post any photos. Yesterday we had an excellent talk at the Fusilier Museum by Martin Purdy, author with Ian Dawson of the book 'The Gallipoli Oak' about 1/6th LF at the Dardanelles. It was nice to meet Ken and Pam Linge there, as well.

Just to report that the 98th annual Gallipoli Sunday service at Bury Parish Church and parade through the town centre went off very well, as always. The weather was kind. Unfortunately I neglected to take my camera along so can't post any photos.. Yesterday we had an excellent talk at the Fusilier Museum by Martin Purdy, author with Ian Dawson of the book 'The Gallipoli Oak' about 1/6th LF at the Dardanelles. It was nice to meet Ken and Pam Linge there, as well.

Glad the Service went well and the weather behaved.

Thanks for the reference to 'The Gallipoli Oak' - must get a copy.

Regards,

Ian.

Again thanks for the reference to the book - I could not put it down and finished in a couple of evenings.

Of particular interest was the last paragraph of the epilogue which appears to mention my Grandmother's first husband by surname - Stockton - John Willie Stockton is the only Stockton in the roll of honour for the 6th so I can assume it was he that is referred to. Lovely to read that he seems to have been held in some esteem by the "special correspondent" TT Heywood.

I wonder if TT Heywood's writings are available - Rochdale Observer/Manchester Evening News?

Regards,

Ian.