Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Seeking Info On R.N.A.S. Unit In Mesopotamia, Sept. 1915;June 1916

Old Man

sJ , Thanks again. I have (the) a complete list of RFC personnel (Incl Australians) that were inside Kut during the Siege. I am not aware that there were any RNAS personnel inside as they all had time to get out and no servicable planes were left inside. The RNAS list I produced above was more a by product of my researching so I posted it thinking it might be helpful to others ? Flight was indeed one of the sources I used for RFC. I was not intending to spend more time at the moment on RNAS if none were 'inside'. But if anyone wants more info on what I posted above I am happy to help.

There is always the possibility of a seriously injured man from the Battle of  Ctesiphon being left inside Kut in hospital, too sick to be moved,when the gates closed.

Charlie

• 1 year later...

Hello, 
I'm a photo archivist currently working on an album provisionally entitled " Aviation in Mesopotamia Campaign WWI " taken by an Air Commander Tigris Column/ RNAS serviceman with photos of Basra, Kut, Suez and Mumbai. Both Robert Gordon and Frederick Bowhill are mentioned in annotations. The album was dated 1916-1917 by the antiquarian book seller, but If anyone is able to suggest more specific dates or any additional information, I would be very grateful.

I am attaching a couple of images here, but if anyone would like access to the whole album, please submit an image request form here (in the 'intended use section, tick 'other' and cite research use for the reason, album name is Aviation in Mesopotamia Campaign WWI)  https://akkasah.org/en/page/frontpage/image-request

These two Royal Flying Corps albums (already published) may also be of interest: 

Best regards,
Jasmine 

AD_MC_047_ref03_d.jpg

AD_MC_047_ref14_d.jpg

43 minutes ago, Jasmine said:

Aviation in Mesopotamia Campaign WWI

Welcome to the forum, Jasmine. An interesting post, many thanks for the links. I hope the experts pick this up because the forum notification system does not seem to work properly (I did not get notification).

Charlie

@horatio2

@Ian Burns

@Old Man

@offibo

@seaJane

Edited by charlie962

On 16/10/2020 at 12:26, charlie962 said:

Welcome to the forum, Jasmine. An interesting post, many thanks for the links. I hope the experts pick this up because the forum notification system does not seem to work properly (I did not get notification).

Charlie

@horatio2

@Ian Burns

@Old Man

@offibo

@seaJane

Hello @charlie962

Thank you for the welcome note and for tagging others that might be interested. I am quite new to this! 

If anyone has any questions re the albums I can be reached at akkasah@nyu.edu or using this contact form: https://akkasah.org/en/page/frontpage/contact-us

Best regards, 

Jasmine

• 1 year later...

Good Evening Gentlemen. I am the son of F/Lt Cecil Bell Gasson mentioned in Horatio's note of 30 April 2014. Although badly wounded he survived being shot down in Short 8044 although his observer Cecil Archibald Thouless did not. I have his full account of his encounter with Hauptmann Hans Schuz in his Fokker, being visited by Schuz after capture by the Turks, and his terrible 4 months in a Baghdad hospital before repatriation to UK in a prisoner swap in August 1916. I have many pics from his albums. In 2007 I tracked down Schuz's son living in Boppard on the Rhine. We swopped info and pics and became friends. If anyone would like to contact me I look forward to hearing from you. 

All the best. Barrie Gasson.