Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Medal Card & Service numbers

Arsenal

Calling for HELP from those that know better than I....My Great Grandad was in the Essex Regiment, 2nd Battalion joining in 1902. Service No 7197

He left the army in 1915. Re-joined again in 1916 Essex Regiment 9th Service Battalion, new Service Number 27716.

He sadly died on the 3rd day of the Somme offensive & is commemorated on the Thiepval memorial.

Now... What I am confused about, is on checking the medal rolls, there are three different cards for what all appear to be him, one with another number 29514.

Each of the cards show medal entitlements, some appear to double up?

Can someone help me understand this?

Greg.

If you can give his name and dob where from, it will make it easier to get some advice.

Is the one for 7197 F J Shaw for a 1914 or 1914/15 Star only and the other 2 for the War and Victory medals?

Are you 100% certain on your info for 7197 and 27716?

If the answer to both questions above is yes, 29514 was a Pte so not him, just a coincidence as 7197 and 27716 are both for a Serjeant.

Sam

Sjt F J Shaw 7197
MIC shows 15 Star, BWM and VM - the BWM and VM appear to be marked up as duplicates which were deleted.

Sjt F J Shaw 27716
MIC shows BWM and VM

Craig

Reply to all... First a big thank you for looking...

Frederick James Shaw is who I am looking for.

DOB 19th April 1885

Died 3rd July 1916

Yes absolutely certain about 7197 & 27716 as I have paperwork in my possession for both.

I assumed the 7197 was his reserve number between 1902 & 1915 & that 27716 was his service number when he rejoined in 1916.

Looking at the other number, 29514, it is surely a real big coincidence if there was another FJ Shaw in the Essex Regiment...would it not?

Looking at the other number, 29514, it is surely a real big coincidence if there was another FJ Shaw in the Essex Regiment...would it not?

Pte 29514 FJ Shaw is a different man, there are many examples of men with similar surnames and initials serving in the same battalion let alone in the same regiment