Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Police Uniform

Clanchief

Hi,

This isn't just about WWI but also involves what became of my great uncle after the war. Frederick Hutchins served with the 1st Royal Dragoons and MGC. The photos show him in the army and in the police force after. I think he was based near Leeds before moving to Cheadle Hulme in the 1950s where I think he became inspector.

Can any clues be gleaned from his uniform as to what force he belonged to or any other information?

Any help gratefully accepted.

Last image, later on...

Well, the one in khaki is defintely Machine Gun Corps (Cavalry). Interesting trade badges on the right arm - I'll try and e-mail member Grumpy, who will be able to tell you more. regrding the Police; no idea, sorry.

Hi

Sjt. Frederick George Hutchins, 3638, 50602 b 1.6.1889 Goring, Oxfordshire died March 1983 Stratford on Avon. Was at Maresfield Park Camp (Uckfield),Sussex when he was married on 26.11.17 at St.Cuthberts, Leeds.,occupation - soldier. The same Army photo is on an Ancestry tree, is that yours???

Looks like he has 3 pips on his epaulette as well as the fastening button, so Chief Inspector. He also has 2 extra medal ribbons than when he was a Sergeant.

Regards Barry

Is one of the badges his skill at arms badge, (H?M? or L?)G surrounded by laurel leaves. Sometimes worn above the chevron rank on right arm to denote Assistant Instructor. ....No I didn't know that but it's on another thread!!

Hi Again

3 Chevrons with Crown above, now defunct "Station Sergeant" Laurel leaves with "R" First Class Range Taker or Range Finder

Regards Barry

On his Machine Gun Corps uniform, top right arm :

' R ' in wreath - For qualified Range Takers and Range and Position Finders - Introduced January, 1914.

' MG ' in wreath - For 1st Class Machine Gunners - Introduced January, 1914.

LF

The 'HY' collar number should be identifiable to a specific police station/division.

Not being familiar with UK police badges, is a crown a legitimate police badge or could it be a prison officers badge??

khaki

Many thanks for your time and effort on this.

I haven't been able to place HY on the collar anywhere. My aunts tell me he worked in security at an ordnance works in Hartlebury, near Kidderminster after the army. Could this be the uniform with HY?

Many thanks for your time and effort on this.

I haven't been able to place HY on the collar anywhere. My aunts tell me he worked in security at an ordnance works in Hartlebury, near Kidderminster after the army. Could this be the uniform with HY?

More likely than a Police uniform I should think and would explain the Crown cap badge rather than a Constabulary cap badge.

If he was in London, maybe Hornsey, Halloway or Haringey?

However that's pure and utter guesswork!

It certainly looks like a station-sergeants' uniform c1920s/30s/40s but I can't think who just wore a plain crown as the full cap badge.

As for the second police photograph....it looks like an Air Ministry Constabulary Cap Badge, and yet the uniform is too late for that organisation.

You can find matches for police badges and buttons online. I found both when sorting through my mother's stuff and though I had a rough idea what they were I wasn't 100 percent sure. I seem to recall searching online for the badge of the police force I recall him serving with and thought it would come under Liverpool. I was close enough to find a match that showed it was a cap badge and the buttons too that belonged to the Bootle police in Liverpool.

Unfortunately, it was a couple of years ago and I cannot recall the search or website I used and I might have gone through a few to find out what I wanted but I am sure there will be something out there under old police badges and buttons.

Thanks again all who have contributed. I will follow up all clues.

Seaforths - good idea, I will search for the badges online.

Hi All

It would appear that the Sgt's uniform is that of an Air Ministry Warden at the Hartlebury Ordnance Factory near Kidderminster 1942.(Maintenance Unit 25 RAF Station) Hence the Crown Cap Badge. The WW2 People's War web site explains there weren't any service Police but they wore blue uniforms with peaked caps and most had WW1 medal ribbons.

Regards Barry

Clanchief, Is the tree on Ancestry yours??

Edited by The Inspector

Hi Again

The cap badge looks like an Air Ministry Constabulary Cap badge, AMC was created in 1923.

Regards Barry

23729-5702.jpg

The Inspector,

Thats great research. Thanks a lot for that.

Yes, the family tree is mine - I am researching relatives involvement in WWI. So there are several stories to tell.

Thanks again, Jeff

The cap badge looks like an Air Ministry Constabulary Cap badge, AMC was created in 1923.

Nice research.

Regards,

LF

Cheadle Hulme is close to the BAE Woodford site (old A.V.Roe factory) It certainly had MOD plods on the gate when I visited for work purposes in the 1980-1990's period. Could he have been based there as an inspector?

Radlad,

Thanks for the comment - I was thinking RAF Handforth or Wilmslow. I hadn't considered Woodford. I'm not sure which is most likely? I did put a thread on a WW2 forum but got no replies.

• 3 months later...

Hi Again

Regards Barry

23729-5702.jpg

Air Ministery Police was absorbed into the MOD.Police in 1962.

tony P

Hi All

Clanchief, do you know what the medals are for the top row of ribbons? The inner ribbon looks like it has a crown in the middle but I can't find anything in my Medals book! If you know what they are then the dates of issue will shed more light on the date of the photo. Also he would probably have retired in approx 1954/55, aged 65. Have you looked for Photographers in the Manchester Area named John Gregory?

Regards Barry

His MIC shows he has 14 star with clasp & roses. I'd guess that's what you can see on the inner one.

TEW

Hi All

Yep, I agree silver rosette. Question, What's the correct way to wear Brit, Vic and Star as well as WW2 medals ? Would they be on separate bars or does it not matter?

Regards Barry

• 4 years later...

I have no idea if Clan Chief is still looking for his Great Uncle Fred or if he is still reading this page.

I am his grandson - son of his third son Frederick Hutchins, late of Leamington Spa.

If you do read this and want to know a little more, please respond.

I am intrigued - almost all of the research listed is correct.

Chris

22 minutes ago, ChrisH said:

I have no idea if Clan Chief is still looking for his Great Uncle Fred or if he is still reading this page.

I am his grandson - son of his third son Frederick Hutchins, late of Leamington Spa.

If you do read this and want to know a little more, please respond.

I am intrigued - almost all of the research listed is correct.

Chris

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Clanchief hasn't logged on to the forum for 3 years so I’ve sent him a message to alert him to your post. He ought to receive it if he still has the email address he used when he first registered on GWF.

Good Luck

Steve