Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Bernard Aloysius Neil

RAN

I am reasearching my grand uncle Bernard Aloysius Neil. He was born approx 1881 in Manchester. So far all I have found, until the last couple of days were two MIC's, on Ancestry, which could relate to him. Two days ago I found a service record on Find My Past, which I not found on Ancestry.

The information on the FMP service record does relate to my relative, the address given matches his mothers address. Info was as follows:

• 4th Batt. Royal Lancashire Regmt.
  • Number: 6786
  • Attested: 15-11-99
  • Purchased: 23-11-99
  • There were no notes to his service dates/movements.

The information off the MIC is as follows:

• Loyal Nth Lancashire Regmt.
  • Number: 5517

Then,

• Liverpool Regmt.
  • Number:113863

Medals: Victory & British

No Theatre of War, no date of entry therein.

There is a family rumour he was badly injuryed, and subsequently died of his wounds. But he died in 1927 and the injury info cannot be verified.

Any help in answering the following questions would be greatly appreciated.

• On the FMP record what does the term "Purchased" mean ?
  • I am correct to assuming he joined. and left service in a short period of time ? (i.e. 15-11-99 to 23-11-99)
  • Would he have been "in reserve" or similar status ?
  • Was the Loyal Nth Lancs Regiment a successor to the RLR ?

Thanks,

RAN

RAN

I think he may have bought himself out of service in Nov 1899,maybe the system allowed that.

The MIC refs H/2/102B35p4852 relate to the original Medal Roll which is at Kew in the Ledger WO329/825 page 4852. You should get his Battalion on first landing in a war zone and you can then trace a formation and a War Diary in order to get a story.

RAN

I think he may have bought himself out of service in Nov 1899,maybe the system allowed that.

The MIC refs H/2/102B35p4852 relate to the original Medal Roll which is at Kew in the Ledger WO329/825 page 4852. You should get his Battalion on first landing in a war zone and you can then trace a formation and a War Diary in order to get a story.

Sotonmate,

Thanks for the reply. Another reason to get to Kew !!

Thanks, RAN

• 2 years later...
Guest wjmcd2000

I saw your inquiry about Bernard Aloysius Neil.  I believe he was the son of Alice McDonnell Neil (1847-1910).  Alice was the sister of my great grandfather William McDonnell (1840-1909).  Alice Neil died in February of 1910 in Manchester with her son William Herbert Neil at her side.  Her brother William McDonnell died in February of 1909 in Philadelphia, USA.