Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2nd Batt Royal Fusiliers - Nathaniel L Evans

philipthespur

I have recently identified a great uncle I never knew I had and I am very proud to say that the 1911 census has him stationed in India within the Royal Fusiliers, 2nd Batt. His service number is 34978 I think! The district he was posted to was 641. In 1911 he was a private but on Ancestry a releative I presume lists him down as an RSM. The picture below is probably him - His name is Nathaniel L Evans. I have been unable to find any more specific info on my great uncle and I can find no service record for WW1 on ancestry anyway. He died in 1957 so he survived the great war if indeed he was in it! Any help or guidance would be very much apprecited indeed! There is an inscription on the rear of this photo "Cousin Liza, With fondest love from your affectionate cousin Nat. - 6/10/16"

post-60536-0-85599100-1398436355_thumb.j

As we're both members of a fairly exclusive club (the "Previously-Unknown Great-Uncles In The 2nd Battalion Royal Fusiliers Club" - we may need a better name) here's what little I have - you may well know as much or more already, of course.

The pre-War Regular RF battalions were London-based and recruited from the capital but as has been discussed elsewhere on this Board that doesn't exclude men from other areas enlisting with the Regiment. Nathaniel may or may not have fought in the War (his medal index card will help determine that), but 2/RF certainly did. They returned from India early in the war and took part in the initial landings (at X Beach) and subsequent campaign at Gallipoli. 2/RF were in 86th Brigade, 29th Division. 2/RF casualties were heavy from the first day, although the actual landings were achieved at remarkably little cost.

Beyond this I haven't really looked, to be honest, but I know they subsequently fought in France & Flanders. The LLT site (there's a link at the top of the page) will have chapter and verse, however, as well as excellent guidance on researching soldiers.

Some (perhaps all) of the 2/RF War Diaries are available digitally from TNA, and there are other documents such as the 86th Brigade War Diary for Gallipoli (and possibly beyond); also there is a book called, I think, "The Royal Fusiliers in the Great War" or somesuch which will give you an overview of the various battalions' war service.

If I find anything else relevant I'll pass it on of course. Good luck in your search.

Cheers, Pat

Hi Pat,

Many thanks for your comments. I am having problems finding his medalindex card which is a tad strange. I will keep trying and will post any information I find that may be useful to you when conducting your search.

Watch this space!

Cheers,

Philip

Nathaniel Lewis Evans born Southwark 31 Jul 1887. Son of Lewis Nathaniel Evans and Ann.

Serving with 2nd battn The Royal Fusiliers at the time of the 1911 census aged 23 . His occupation is shown as glassblower but he is marked as "absent" on the night the census was taken.

Can't find the family on the 1901 census.

No luck with medal index card either.

Married Ada Birdsall 1927 Greenwich .

Died 1957 Battersea.

Hi Ellis,

Thanks ever so much for taking time out on this. The fact you also cannot find medal card index fits with my research. There is a inscription on the back of his photo/Postcard above stating a date of 6/10/16. So I assume he was indeed serving in the Army?

Philip

Philip

Can you provide a close up of the cap badge because as sure as "eggs is eggs" that isn't a Royal Fusiliers badge.

I may be way off course here but, to me at least, it has the appearance of an Essex Regiment cap badge and hence the request for a close up. If it is 'Essex' then there is a MIC (albeit 'just' for a Silver War Badge) for a Sergeant Nathaniel Evans #25854 of that regiment and the Silver War Badge roll entry shows that this Nathaniel enlisted 17th October 1908 which could fit with him being shown as a Fusilier in 1911.

Regards

Steve

edit: It would also help if you could post a close up of his shoulder title because that has the appearance of a curved title which wouldn't rule out the Essex but does the Royal Fusiliers.

Hi Steve (and all!)

Thanks for your comments and help. What you state matches with a medal index card for N Evans that I found today! , Reg No - 25854 ESSEX REGIMENT! His card states Royal Fusiliers 13394 and the fore mentioned Essex Regiment 25854 Sgt! He was awarded all main 3 medals inc 15 star and a main theatre entry as the "balkans" Gallipoli 2B? The Essex regt were there? 2nd Batt maybe? He was in the 2nd batt Royal Fusiliers in 1911. Good chance I found him then?

edit - I can attempt to post a close up of Nats photo if it helps?

Philip

I'm satisfied that he's the one.

Royal Fusiliers with numbers either side* of Nathaniel's (#13395) show that they were issued in October 1908 which fits well with the date on the SWB Card.

The MIC states that he entered theatre 2B(Balkans) on 18th May 1915 with the Royal Fusiliers so I suspect that he was still with the 2nd Battalion at the time although he entered the Gallipoli theatre a few weeks after the main battalion strength.

Close ups of the cap and shoulder badges would hopefully prove beyond doubt that it's the Essex Regiment but I believe you've already found your man.

Regards

Steve

* 13392 – 13th October 1908 & 13406 – 19th October 1908

Thanks again Steve - I agree I think I have him! Generates more questions though!

So I wonder where he was in his Essex regimental uniform when the photo was taken? The Balkans perhaps prior to evacuation from Galliopoli in 1915?

Must have been with the Essex's out there?

Also I wonder why he transferred from the Fusiliers to the Essex Regt?

Any idea how I would find his battalion in the Essex?

Kind regards,

Philip

Just to confirm that the shoulder badges do say "Essex" ! Well done Steve! Also I have just found your? 2006 post and Nat Evans is in it. "13395 N. EVANS, to 25854 Serjeant Essex Regiment 2nd Garrison Bn January 1916" So its the 2nd Garrison battalion !

Looks like the 2nd GARRISON Batt of the essex's was In India;

"In India the 2nd Garrison battalion joined the Nasirabad Brigade, 5th (Indian) Division.
This contained the following units:
1st Bn Royal Irish Regt. 04 Aug 1914 - Oct 1914.
2nd Garrison Bn Essex Regt. Mar 1916 - 11 Nov 1918.
2nd Bn Queen’s Own. Sep 1914 - Jan 1915
"

Philip

Just to confirm that the shoulder badges do say "Essex"

Good, that's further confirmation that you've got the right man.

Also I have just found your? 2006 post and Nat Evans is in it. "13395 N. EVANS, to 25854 Serjeant Essex Regiment 2nd Garrison Bn January 1916" So its the 2nd Garrison battalion !

Crikey, I'd forgotten all about that post, what a bit of luck, now at least you know that he was in India with the 2nd Garrison Battalion Essex Regiment.

What he wasn't was a member of the 25th Battalion Royal Fusiliers as per that post, the reason he was listed was because his service number (13395) fell into the General Service (GS) range of numbers allocated to that battalion and, at that time, I hadn't got another suitable candidate for that number. I later found the 'right' man for GS/13395 and concluded that Nathaniel Evans's was regular number L/13395 so he's no longer in the database, the same applies to 12897 Alfred LUKE and 13178 A. LEE in that post.

Regards

Steve

Cheers Steve - Dont suppose you have any knowledge or interest in the RFA? I have a post regarding my Grandfather Arthur Frederick Evans, Dvr, RFA, 83217 on his MIC. I havent been able to find anything else at all, particularly his battalion!! Not going to give up.

Regards,

Philip