Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Somme area aerial photos

Chris_Baker

I can't get to see the smaller pics under the main pic. Tried clicking on them and using the arrow either side. Any instructions?

Thanks for this Chris. It didn't work with Firefox but was good with Chrome.

Some shots in there I recognise. Here's a link to some Somme aerials that I have taken in the past year or two: http://jeremybanning.co.uk/gallery/?album=1&gallery=2.

When I get the time I will add some more of Beaumont Hamel, Redan Ridge and Serre.

JB

best aerials I have ever seen

thank you jeremy :thumbsup:

Biff :poppy:

Chris and Jeremy, thanks for posting these. Jeremy, yours are particularly interesting as the angles you've found across the battlefield give a real sense of the landscape which you don't often get from aerials. I'd be very interested in the additional ones of the areas further north.

Pete.

Thanks Pete - more than likely these will be added later in the year when I have some time.

Jeremy

i have many pictures of the somme graveyards - but none from above! helps massively to see the view beyond the cemetry

Thanks Pete - more than likely these will be added later in the year when I have some time.

Jeremy

Jeremy. I completely forgot to ask what sort of aircraft were you in when you took these? There appears to be very little in the way of fuselage or wing to spoil the view, a microlight by any chance? I want the answer to be from the front cockpit of a FE2B but I'm resigned to it not being the case....

Pete.

Some were from a helicopter and some from a microlight. The former infinitely less scary than the latter...

The ones still to be added were taken from a helicopter in December 2013.

JB