Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS ANCHUSA - SUNK BY U-BOAT JULY 1918.

chrisharley9

What I have so far I that this corvette was torpedoed & sank - can anyone expand on this please

Chris

Jon

thanks very much

Chris

Anchusa was torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U 54 on July 16, 1918 off the north coast of Ireland.

Best wishes,

Michael

Michael

thanks very much

Chris

Chris,

On 16th July 1918 the Special Service Ship, Anchusa class Sloop, Anchusa, built 1917, 1,290 tons, was torpedoed and sunk by U 54 off N coast of Ireland with the loss of 79 lives, including:

LORD-FLOOD, JAMES J., SURGEON PROBATIONER, RNVR.

The Anchusa was one of several navy sloops built with standard hull and innards but having merchant-like top work.

Best wishes

David

David

that is the chap that Im researching & just wanted some background on the ship so my thanks - by Special Service ship do you mean Q ship

Chris

David

is there any other sick berth staff listed

Chris

Hello Chris, here's one of your `hospital bods'. You may already have him - but `in case'.

BARCLAY Ivan C.C Killed in Action Surgeon Probationer RNVR 78A061

Mary Rose C-in-C Grand Fleet 07.08.18 G Action with enemy Light Cruisers 17.10.17 Min

Gallantly performed his duty while in action against superior enemy forces.

He was killed during the engagement.

Their Lordships' consider that, the conduct of all the officers and crew throughout the whole

of this unequal contest to have been in accordance with the best traditions of the service.

See also Lt. A.J. Bavin.

Regards Sadsac

Hello Chris, here's one of your `hospital bods'. You may already have him - but `in case'.

BARCLAY Ivan C.C Killed in Action Surgeon Probationer RNVR 78A061

Mary Rose C-in-C Grand Fleet 07.08.18 G Action with enemy Light Cruisers 17.10.17 Min

Gallantly performed his duty while in action against superior enemy forces.

He was killed during the engagement.

Their Lordships' consider that, the conduct of all the officers and crew throughout the whole

of this unequal contest to have been in accordance with the best traditions of the service.

See also Lt. A.J. Bavin.

Regards Sadsac

Hi Guys

I can probably sort out all the names of the crew who were killed or lost with the ship, if anyone needs tham ?

Cheers Ron

Ron

only need the Sick Berth Staff if possible

Chris

Dennis

thanks for your input

Chris

Ron

only need the Sick Berth Staff if possible

Chris

Hi Chris

I searched through my files, but none of the sickberth staff were mentioned, probably because my lists only include Navy personnell, however one officer came up which you already have;)

Cheers Ron

Ron

im reckoning that as this was a small ship there would just be the surgeon

Chris

David

thanks very much

Chris

Hi Guys

I can probably sort out all the names of the crew who were killed or lost with the ship, if anyone needs tham ?

Cheers Ron

Ron,

Thanks for your kind offer. If it's still open, I'm interested in any infor you might have on Leading Stoker Albert Colwill (K/18812).

Many thanks,

Derrick Parsons

• 6 years later...

I have information on this ship and one member of the ships crew (Albert Colwill) to form part of the North Hill, Cornwall Roll of Honour for WW1.

However, has anyone any information on the duties the ship was carrying out when she was torpedoed by U54 on 16th July 1918?

Many thanks,

Nick.

Hi Kath,

Thanks for that and yes I did. Unfortunately none of the info gives any detail of the voyage remit.

Nick.

Nick,

From David Hepper's British Warship in the Ironclad Era 1860-1919:

Having sailed from Lough Swiley on 14 July, she screened a homeward-bound convoy off the Northern Ireland coast the following morning and was then ordered to return to Lough Swilly. On the way she was diverted to assist with a search or a submarine reported in the area, but without success, after which she resumed her passage to Lough Swilly. At 2:07am she was hit on the starboard side by two torpedoes fired from a submerged U 54 (von Ruckteschell). She broke up and sank rapidly, going under in just two minutes, the boilers exploding as she sank. Twelve survivors were picked up the following morning in position 55.37N, -7.35.W [TNA: AD137/3445]

The German account is pretty similar, with U 54 sighting a single inbound steamer. The submarine fired two torpedoes while surfaced at 2:58am German time, both of which hit, and the steamer sank rapidly after a secondary explosion. U 54 was unable to establish the identity of the ship it had sunk. I can get you a copy of U 54's KTB (Kriegstagebuch, war diary) which should provide additional details.

Best wishes,

Michael

And one thing to add: From a U-boat operations standpoint, von Ruckteschell's firing of two torpedoes at the target was unusual — SOP was to fire one except against a high value target (major warships, large merchant vessels). It would be interesting to see why von Ruckteschell opted for the double shot.

Hello Michael,

Thanks very much for your reply. Most useful and, yes, I wouldn't mind a squint at the KTB record if this is easily accessible.

Would the time of day make any difference to the mode of attack in this case?

Nick.

Nick,

There isn't much of a difference in time of day -- U-boats used German time, which was ahead of British time. So probably a difference of nine minutes. Given the casualties among the sloop's crew, I would take the U-boat's time estimate as being more accurate. The mode of attack is via torpedo, and U-boats certainly conducted night surface attacks in World War I. The KTB may well provide may details about the attack -- the amount of detail provided depends greatly on the commanding officer involved.

And I own the microfilm roll with U 54's KTB, just a matter of getting down to the local library to scan into a pdf file.

Best wishes,

Michael