Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Canadian Artillery

gillingham62

I am trying to find out more about my Great uncle Bartley Mcglynn and where he served in France/Belgium. I know that he emigrated to Canada in 1914 from Ireland and he Joined the Canadian forces on the 21st November 1916 as a Gunner, Service No 2001014 and i believe he was with 3 division.

He died on the 22Oct 1917 and is buried in Lijssenthoek Cemetery.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gordon.

Gordon,

Between his attestation and death the Cobourg Heavy Battery, his original unit, sent only 3 drafts to England. While there is a small chance he was transferred to another artillery unit and sailed earlier, it is most likely he sailed with either the 5th draft which departed about 11 April, 1917 from Halifax aboard either the Carpathia or SS Canada and arrived at Liverpool about 22 April and proceeded to the Segregation Camp at Otterpool the same day, or the 6th draft which sailed about 25 June, 1917 from Halifax on the Justicia and arrived about July 4th at Liverpool proceeding to Otterpool the same day. The 7th draft sailed in late Sept 1917; arriving about Oct. 11, 1917 which was far to late for him to have arrived at his final unit by Oct 22, 1917. All 3 of these drafts were TOS the Canadian Artillery Reserve Depot which was at Risboro Barracks, Shorncliffe until 2 Sept 1917 when it was moved to Milford, Witley. The War Diaries here note the arrival of drafts from Canada about the days mentioned above and list the date and # of reinforcements sent forward to the field often with their intended destination. You will need his complete service file to confirm which of the drarfts he was part of.

As shown on his Circumstances of Death card he was sent to the 3rd Bde Canadian Field Artillery; the unit'sWar Diaries are here

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help guys.

Good to know when the full service files will be available. Found him mentioned in the war diaries interesting reading on the 21st October, he died the following day. looks like he was with the 11th Battery.

Thanks once again.

Gordon