Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte Robert Hunter, RSF, LC and RE

roughdiamond

In this weeks edition of my local paper "The Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser" there's a story of a gent who found a BWM while digging for bait to a 315804 Pte R Hunter RSF and is looking to pass it onto a family member, his MIC on the NA's also shows he was Pte 657150 Labour Corps and Pte 364022 Royal Engineers.

I punched his name and RSF number into Ancestry and got 2 matches, although knowing the way even a "Match all terms exactly" search throws up vague connections, I know it means nothing. I should add when I enter his name and either LC or RE number I get zero matches.

I don't subscribe to Ancestry and wonder if someone could tell me if it is his Service records on there please? As the medal was found in the Greenend area of Coatbridge, I'm going to see later if he's listed in the book "Coatbridge and the Great War".

Thanks

Sam

Thanks John

That number doesn't appear on his MIC, probably as I suspected, Ancestry making bogus connections.

Sam

Doesn't seem to appear on CWGC so probably survived.

Thanks John, Coatbridge and the Great War should give me an address if he was indeed from there.

Sam

Hi Sam

MIC on Ancestry just shows pair under RE roll.

Sorry cant see a service records, looked through the first 4 pages.

Hope he turns up in the book.

regards

Robert

Just to update as I hate to leave those who've had a look or helped wondering, Pte Hunter doesn't appear in the book which is a very exhaustive work that lists almost every Coatbridge man who served in WW1, so he's either not from Coatbridge or is one of the very very few who wasn't included.

I've done a search on CWGC and can't seem to find anyone around 50 numbers either side of the RSF number to try and tie down his Bn.

Finally, can someone point me in the direction of our resident Labour Corps expert, to see if "No Labour, No Battle" gives any idea of LC Bn and a history of transfer to it from the RSF?

Thanks

Sam