Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Kings Royal Rifles Battalion Identification

mullions

My grandfather was in the Kings Royal Rifles in WW1 and I have his Victory medal, but nothing else. Can anyone identify for me his Regiment, Battalion, etc from this inscription on the medal edge: R-31 BB2 Pte. C.Webb K.R.RIF C, as I would like to find out where he served and was injured during WW1?

Hi Mullions the only thing i can ascertain for certain is that that your grandfather was a NEW ARMIES or Kitcheners army man going by his R prefix

regards keith

Are you bsure his service number is r31bb2 or should it more likely be r31882?

Your GF was discharged 24/6/18 due to wounds. He enlisted on 12/8/16 and was entitled to the Silver War Badge number 415902. He was 37 years and 317 days old on discharge from KRRC Depot. His Service number was R31882

an A prefix denotes an army reservist who had been discharged and their service number had been reallocated and they were re enlisting and a C prefix were also new army men but were in the 16th to 21st Bn's, johnboy queried his service number but are you sure he is an R and not an A prefix? as thier numbers started in the low 3900's ?

Looks like Bardess beat me to it, well done Bardess!

Wounded men would be officially posted from their active service battalion to the Depot of their Regiment whilst in hospital in the UK (this was usually done from the moment they were put on a hospital ship from the coastal hospitals in France). This was for records and pay purposes and the man would not be physically at the Depot (Winchester in this case) but would be in one of three places - a hospital in the UK, on a week's hospital discharge furlough/leave or at a "Command Depot" being toughened up again for service (route marches, massage, etc.). Upon return to health he would be posted to a Reserve (UK) battalion of his Regiment ready for re-deployment. The fact that he was discharged from the Depot suggests that this was during his recovery period.

He would also be entitled to the British War Medal alongside the Victory medal.

The National Archives at Kew hold physical medal rolls (ledger books) that will state his actual battalion(s) served with at the front, but these are not available online.

Steve.