Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Welsh (?) Shoulder titles

mtaylor

Any suggestions as to the shoulder title in this image. The cap badge would suggest Welsh but it doesn't look like that (unless its distorted?)

post-173-0-54145900-1398259673_thumb.jpg

post-173-0-42340300-1398259698_thumb.jpg

The badge does look to be the Welsh, though the Leinsters used one of a similar design. The ST looks to be the correct length to be WELSH, but as you say does look a bit odd. Perhaps just odd lighting making it look strange.

Some of the Welsh yeomanry units also had the Prince of Wales' feathers as their cap badge, the difference is often in the scroll underneath, with different mottoes (or battle honours - such as that unique to the Pembrokeshire Yeomanry, Fishguard - used). Can you get a higher resolution scan of the cap badge?

This similarity has lead to misindentifications eg http://cymru1914.org/en/view/photographs/3891087 is listed as Welsh Regiment, but as I've pointed out to those in charge of the database they are accoutred as mounted troops, and expert opinion has it that the scroll on the cap badge is the wrong length for Welsh Regiment. They are almost certainly Pembrokeshire Yeomanry - one shoulder title there reads TY Pembroke.

Must admit that the shoulder title in your photo doesn't seem to have the surmounting T Y either, which would be expected for yeomanry.

I would say almost certainly Welsh (or Welch) Regt for the cap badge and the shoulder titles look good for Welsh/Welch, also the Leinster scroll is straight and not curved.

Robert

3rd Dragoon Guards and 10th Royal Hussars wore PoW feathers, but they are not their shoulder titles.

The S/T looks to be the right length and curve for the Welsh Rgt and I suspect that the lighting is distorting the actual letters, I can think of no other S/T which fits with the cap badge shown

I would say almost certainly Welsh (or Welch) Regt for the cap badge and the shoulder titles look good for Welsh/Welch, also the Leinster scroll is straight and not curved.

Robert

Welch is 1920 onwards. The only battalion to use Welch on the shoulder titles are 16th (service) Battalion(cardiff city) Welsh regiment.

Welch is 1920 onwards. The only battalion to use Welch on the shoulder titles are 16th (service) Battalion(cardiff city) Welsh regiment.

I always hedge my bets on this one as I can never remember the sequence!!

No problems Old owl. I can say without doubt it is not Glamorgan yeomanry :thumbsup: They had a very long scroll. Otherwise unless we can see what is in the scroll it is Welsh or Pembroke yeomanry. There is another capbadge(not lensters) im racking my brain about but as im stuck in a pub(ironicaly close to the french invasion of 1797 and the pembs mob obtained "Fishguard") and can not check the book I need to.

im stuck in a pub

Life really is a bitch, eh?

No more definition to be had I'm afraid. I'll go with the concensus that it's 'Welsh' under odd lighting!

Thanks chaps