Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lincoln College, Oxford, Memorial

David Ridgus

While contributing to another thread the other day I remembered that some years ago I took some pictures of the War Memorial in my old college.

The one well known name is that of P E Thomas, the poet Edward Thomas, but there are a number of other names that have featured on the forum over the years and one, W B Algeo, whose story is recorded in Charles Douie's 'The Weary Road'.

Douie describes him as a man '...gifted with the power to inspire affection in the men whom he led.' He was an Old Contemptible who, ' gave the impression of greatly deprecating the war on account of its minor discomforts and its interference with settled habits and regular meals. Its inherent dangers were not judged by him to be worthy of comment.' After 18 months he received the offer of a staff appointment. 'The message came to him one evening when a relief of the line before Thiepval was about to take place. In his hand was a scrap of paper offering him the chance of life and the opportunity of high distinction in his profession. He debated for a little while, and then, turning to one of his subalterns, said, 'I can't leave these old men.' He went up the line, and within a few hours lost his life in a hazardous enterprise in the garden of Thiepval Chateau.'

post-66715-0-82331900-1398205557_thumb.j post-66715-0-68403300-1398205803_thumb.j post-66715-0-39649200-1398205594_thumb.j

I am a poor photographer at the best of times, and this was not the best of times!

And here is the overall Board. It is situated in the Junior Common Room.

post-66715-0-43060700-1398205970_thumb.j

David

David, very very impressive. I am afraid I have little Latin and less Greek so can you translate the inscription below the names?

Pete.

'ou tethnasi thanontes'.

Greek, 'the dead that are not dead.'

I *think* it refers to Leonidas and his three hundred at Thermopylae, and I *think* it's a quotation from Euripides.

'ou tethnasi thanontes'.

I *think* it refers to Leonidas and his three hundred at Thermopylae, and I *think* it's a quotation from Euripides.

Thank you SeaJane, I've always wondered where it came from. I should have known the depth of knowledge on the forum would come up trumps

David

David, very very impressive. I am afraid I have little Latin and less Greek so can you translate the inscription below the names?

Pete.

As you can imagine I'm not going to argue with our learned colleague!

David

'ou tethnasi thanontes'.

Seajane, much appreciated.

A verse epitaph for the Greek fallen at the Battle of Platea [479 BC], attributed to Simonides translates (more or less) as:

"These men crowned their country with glory
and were gathered into the darkness of death.
They died, but are not dead
['ou tethnasi thanontes'] their courage
brings them back in glory from the world below."

... quite like that, thanks for the post.
Graham

Non sint quia non sum oblitus (They have not died because we have not forgotten them)

Thank you for identifying the source, Graham!

Great epitaph.

Graham, thanks for the quotations; I particularly like the latin. I will commit it to memory for next time I am on the vasty fields of France (or Belgium).

Pete.