Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5 previous un-commemorated graves to get headstones in Grimsby

temptage

Today I have had confirmation from CWGC that in Scartho Road Cemetery in Grimsby there are to be 5 previously unrecognised casualties who will finally be getting headstones in August, and I believe all thanks need to go to TcM59 and the IFCP boys for their sterling work.

George Christopher Monckton

George William Peacock

George William Chase

Tom Derbon Teanby

Horace George Gedge

All now in from the cold. RIP boys

Excellent news. How long since the decision was made to accept them? Still waiting for one man's stone here in Keighley.

Fabulous work - well done.

Ant

There is still another 1, maybe 2, that have been submitted to the IFCP in the Cemetery. Again seemingly down to TcM59.

I'm not sure on when they were accepted. All I know is that when I started photographing all the headstones in the Cemetery back in July 2010, some had already been accepted and were on the CWGC database, awaiting a headstone.

Hi,

I’m just back from a few days down in Norfolk and walking this last weekend in North Yorkshire!

Had my iPad with me but had it switched on only for about 15 minutes, tops.

So just to put the records straight on this:

George William Peacock was one of mine (IFTC), case submitted for consideration 12/04/2012,

Approved 14/06/12. Currently he lies in an unmarked grave in Grimsby (Scartho Road) Cemetery.

Three of the other four also lie in unmarked graves in Grimsby (Scartho Road) Cemetery but were/are commemorated on Tower Hill Memorial

George William Chase, was/is commemorated on the Brookwood (United Kingdom 1914-1918) Memorial, but is buried in Grimsby (Scartho Road) Cemetery and has a private headstone in good condition - I would be surprised if this is replaced - I’ve emailed a the photo of the private headstone (attached below), to the CWGC.

The last four are due to a joint effort by Chris Harley and myself to get the commemorations moved to their graves in Grimsby.

Terry

post-7031-0-45303300-1398730357_thumb.jp

Terry, I believe the CWGC are to put a headstone up at the foot end of the grave, with the families permission. They have sent me a list of all the work they are going to do at Scartho Cemetery in August. As well as the 5 'new' headstones, they are also replacing a further 28 headstones including one who isnt even named on the CWGC database, as he was a MN seaman and has a clipped corner headstone.

• 2 weeks later...

Tony

I've just received this email regarding George William Chase:

"Thank you for your email confirming that the grave of Private Chase is now marked by a Private Memorial provided by the casualty’s family. Our UK Area office have made some checks and are content that the grave marker provides appropriate commemoration and so the Commission will no longer seek to mark the grave with a Commission Headstone. Our records will be adjusted to reflect the current arrangements for commemoration."

Terry

p.s. I will email you later today regarding where I hope to be taking photos on my trip to F&F.

Off on this Thursdays over night Hull to Zeebrugge ferry.

Cheers Terry.

Should be interesting within the CWGC as when I was sent the list of 33 names,it said that the 5 'new' headstones were all engraved and waiting to be put in place. I wonder what they will do with the stone they have engraved for him?

I have told my wife that I fully intend on getting back over there during the summer as I only have 30 names in 18 Cemeteries on my list now. Mind you, including yours, I have had offers for 3 of them already.

I have decided that when I go, I am going to attempt the impossible and get down to St Sever in Rouen and have a day or two of photography there. Im sure there will be plenty of requests when I officially announce it to the baying crowds lol