Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Tratt G/19574 Royal Sussex Regt

ROD WEALE

This soldier died in 1918 of illness and is buried in Le Havre. I cannot reconcile his service number G/19574 with other information that I have about his life locally. Has anyone any idea when he might have joined up? Looking at casualties with similar numbers it is possible he joined late in the war but his brother (James G/1711) joined in 1914 and the family recall that Thomas Tratt also joined up. This cannot be as his MRIC makes no mention of a 1915 Star and his SN would indicate he joined 1916?

Any comments would be welcome.

Kind regards

Rod

Private Thomas James Philip Tratt 19574 9th battn Royal Sussex regiment died of syncope (??) 8th March 1918 aged 28.

Enlisted Horsham. Other RS men with similar numbers appear to have enlistment dates late 1915 to early 1916.

Awarded BWM & Victory medal . Would have entered theatre of war after 1915.

Syncope (/ˈsɪŋkəpi/ SING-kə-pee), the medical term for fainting or passing out, is defined as a transient loss of consciousness and postural tone, characterized by rapid onset, short duration, and spontaneous recovery, due to global cerebral hypoperfusion (low blood flow to the brain) that most often results from hypotension (low blood pressure).

Private James Henry Tratt G/1711 7th battn Queens Royal West Surrey regiment .Enlisted Cranleigh Sept 1914. Landed in France Jul 1915. GSW right ankle Jul 1916 leading to leg being amputated .

Awarded BWM , Victory & 1915 star

Thomas James Philip Tratt service no g19574 9th Royal Sussex

d 8/3/18 son of Thomas and Mary of Cranliegh Surrey.

Thomas was originally 3rd Bn, then posted to 2nd Bn and finally to 9th Bn, according to his medal roll entry.

I can't help with his enlistment date though. You will probably have to trawl Ancestry for records of men with similar numbers.

Phil

I think this is a post September 1916 number, I have G/17****s joining 2nd Sussex late August

Phil's idea above will give you a clearer picture

All the best,

Jim

I think this is a post September 1916 number, I have G/17****s joining 2nd Sussex late August

Phil's idea above will give you a clearer picture

All the best,

Jim

I agree Jim,

I have a list of G/178**s who went to 12th Battalion and are casualties from early September 1916 on into October. Probably from when I was trying to put together my Grandfather's likely movements (G/17827).

Phil

Hi Phil,

Your grandfather wasn't East Kent Yeomanry before 12th RSR was he? Just a thought .... Or perhaps Essex Regiment?

All the best, Jim

Jim,

No he was 1/4th RSR, from 1913 but remained at home. I've been meaning to tap you up for some info you said you had on 1/4th East Grinstead men on another thread, but don't want to hi-jack Rod's (although we may have already done so).

Apologies Rod.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Not a problem - all very interesting