Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Gunner FC Barry RFA 182435

berty199

Hi

A real long shot here, but would anybody be able to identify the group pictured here?

My granddad, Gunner FC Barry, is in the back row, far right. His service record no longer exists, and I've been unable to ascertain which battery he belonged to.

He served in India during the war, joining up some time in 1917.

Maybe the 'K' on the wall has some relevance?

Many thanks

Martin post-104531-0-98395600-1398163390_thumb.

I can give you no info but what a great photo, looks like they where labouring in woodlands,

Thanks Douglynn, I'm quite proud of it too!

Regards

Martin

Thanks for this Bob.

I've got this but there's nothing on it giving the battery/brigade my grandfather served in.

Guess I'll keep looking!

Regards

Martin

Just a thought, as my grandads service record didn't survive, is it risky to assume that those soldiers with adjacent service no.s (i.e 182434 & 182436 etc) would have been sent to the same battery as my relative?

If their service records survived, perhaps it would provide a hint as to the battery my grandad served in?

Martin,

Looking at the other numbers will only tell you where and approximately when he joined the RFA. I can tell you that he is a batch joining No. 4 RFA Depot, Woolwich, on January 15, 1917. Several service records have a move, 7 days later, to No. 6A Reserve Brigade RFA at Glasgow. However 182400 Frederick William Forrest did not make this move and was posted to India on February 14, 1917. It is difficult to be precise without a service record if Frederick Barry was in the same draft. His medal card would indicate he served in a theatre of war, so not only India, as he received a Victory medal.

Thanks David, that's really helpful information

Much appreciated

Martin