Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

25950 Cpl. Thomas Dundon RGA

Alan24

I have a diary entry for 13 Dec 1916 which reads "Corporal Dundon wounded 10.30pm" this is in connection with 125 HB RGA located at that time in Ginchy.

Searching the MICs, I can only find one 'Dundon' in the RGA, listed as a Gunner but also showing DoW 28.1.17.

The CWGC does list him as a Corporal. He is not given any Battery details but the MIC shows him in France from 6.6.15.

I think this could be the man as the rank and date of death do not conflict with the info I have.

This is what I'm curious about...

He is named on a memorial in Brookwood, Surrey for London District soldiers who died in the UK (again death date does not contradict) and who have no known grave.

How can a soldier died in the UK have no known grave? Was it common for relatives to take the body and give him a private buriel? Perhaps he lies in a London cemetery somewhre.

The said memorial in Bookwood was only created in 2004 and I wonder how the name got to be there having not been listed anywhere else by the CWGC before.

I would be interested the hear any background of this memorial or if anyone can link this man to 125 HB. He definatley would have served with other batteries too.

Alan.

Alan,

It looks like he may be a recent commemoration.

I can't see him on the In From the Cold Project list, but he may have been put forward by a relative, or another individual.

His death is registered in March Quarter 1917, Chelsea Registration District, so it is possible that he died in one of the local military hospitals, but possibly post-discharge. His grave may be in somewhere like the Brompton Cemetery (although nothing shows on Deceased Online), or his family may have requested his body be brought back home for burial. Sometimes trying to locate the grave in such cases can take years.

Phil

His grave was found in 2013 in Manor Park Cemetery & this has been reported to CWGC. We await their decision on how to commemorate him as he lays in a common grave with 14 other burials.

Chris

Thanks for all the really good info.

CGM - Can I ask if there is any further details in the 2LGH records?

It’s really got me intrigued now. Would a common grave burial suggest that he had no relatives or that they could not be traced in 1917?

I’m still curious as to who would have uncovered this all these years later. I’m still convinced that this is the man in my GGF’s diary.

I’ll pass the info I have to IFCP and CWGC as it may be of interest to record when and where he received his wounds and which Battery he was serving with at the time. His entry into France of 6.6.15 pre-dates 125 HB by almost a year so he must have served with other units before.

I’m also going to ask CWGC to check out one of my earlier posts for “L187/292155 Bmdr. Lancelot Hogg“ who is listed on CWGC as 156 HB but who I believe could have been with 125 HB.

The evidence for this is that his number is bang in the middle of those for the 125 (292000-292250) and he was killed on the same day of 5 others from 125, lies in the same cemetery as those 5 with a 125 gunners either side of him. I also have a 1920’s document of the 125 where he is listed as KIA in that same group of 5.

I don't think it impossible that a hand written 125 could have been mistaken for 156 at some point in the past.

Alan.

Thanks for all the really good info.

CGM - Can I ask if there is any further details in the 2LGH records?

It’s really got me intrigued now. Would a common grave burial suggest that he had no relatives or that they could not be traced in 1917?..........................

Alan.

Alan, my information came from the burial record. I have not seen the 2LGH records I'm afraid.

Being buried in a common (public) grave was a very normal practice, particularly in London. (It is not to be confused with a pauper grave).

Purchasing a private grave (a plot which the family owned and could choose who was to be buried there) was way beyond the means of many families who continually had trouble making ends meet so a common grave met their needs. The funeral had to be paid for but not a place in the grave.

The graves could contain as many as 25 - 30 burials of unrelated people.

Individual gravestones were not permitted on the graves (although few, if any, could have afforded one anyway) which is why a decision must be made as to how he will be commemorated.

There was no stigma associated with this - it was 'the way' at that time.

CGM

...........This is what I'm curious about...

He is named on a memorial in Brookwood, Surrey for London District soldiers who died in the UK (again death date does not contradict) and who have no known grave.

How can a soldier died in the UK have no known grave? Was it common for relatives to take the body and give him a private buriel? Perhaps he lies in a London cemetery somewhre.

The said memorial in Bookwood was only created in 2004 and I wonder how the name got to be there having not been listed anywhere else by the CWGC before............................

Alan.

A point about the BROOKWOOD (UNITED KINGDOM 1914-1918) MEMORIAL (situated in the Brookwood Military Cemetery) - it is not restricted to London District soldiers. It commemorates Commonwealth casualties who died in the United Kingdom (during the First World War) but for whom no graves could be found.

______

Thomas DUNDON's CWGC entry includes some additional information, which would have been provided by his family so I'm suggesting he has been known since his death. However, relatives were not asked for information about the burial.

DUNDON, THOMAS

Service No: 25950

Date of Death: 28/01/1917

Regiment/Service: Royal Garrison Artillery

Panel Reference

Memorial: BROOKWOOD (UNITED KINGDOM 1914-1918) MEMORIAL

Additional Information: Son of Mrs Alice Dundon, of 50, Gifford Street, Hoxton, London.

CGM

CGM,

I was puzzled as his death is recorded on his medal index card. I didn't read anything into the Additional Information being there though. I have always provided the CWGC with documented family information and in two cases they have added it, the others, not.

Alan,

If you want to follow it up, contact the CWGC and I am sure they will tell you when he was commemorated.

Phil

Thank CGM,

I was confusing Common grave with Pauper grave, but now I know.

There was also an older brother Harry Dundon 4th London Regt. whose records are on Ancestry and show the same 50 Gifford St. Hoxton address.

Alan.